Click to return to the MediaLine main page.
Click to return to the MediaLine main page.
FORUM UPGRADE! Please start using the new forum at this address: http://openline.medialine.com
The older forum will stay up but in "read only" mode, which means that no new posts or user registrations are allowed.
MediaLine's Open Line

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» MediaLine's Open Line   » Best of Open Line   » "That's right..." (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: "That's right..."
upandown
Open Line Veteran
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2005 10:56 PM      Profile for upandown   Email upandown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two of the most overused words when beginning live-shots.
Michigan J. Frog
Open Line Veteran
Member # 4050

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2005 11:05 PM      Profile for Michigan J. Frog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...but often the only thing to say when management tells the anchors to make a statement as they toss:

"Firefighters finally have the upper hand on this fire, Bob."

"That's right, Julie..."

or, what I'd love to see...

"Well, no, Julie, they don't have it yet..."

--------------------
"It would indeed be ironic if, in the name of national defense, we would sanction the subversion of those liberties which make the defense of the nation worthwhile." -Earl Warren

Posts: 6254 | From: Heck | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
HappyMadison
Member # 8286

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2005 11:05 PM      Profile for HappyMadison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's right, upanddown...

--------------------
Conditioner Is Better!

Posts: 138 | From: Wherever I Am...I'm Here | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
TVShootist
Member # 2121

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2005 11:38 PM      Profile for TVShootist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's right, brotha.
Posts: 1071 | From: Kansas | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lazlo Toth
Open Line Veteran
Member # 4867

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2005 12:31 AM      Profile for Lazlo Toth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I were news director ....

live shots could not begin with "that's right"

or end with "back to you."

--------------------
Nowhere are prejudices more mistaken for truth, passion for reason, and invective for documentation than in politics. This a realm, peopled only by villains or heroes, in which everything is black or white and gray is a forbidden color.
-- John Mason Brown, Through These Men (1956)

Posts: 7959 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pro
Open Line Veteran
Member # 5396

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2005 01:40 AM      Profile for Pro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lazlo Toth:

God, I HATE that!!!!

It got started on generic network live shots and was picked up by local reporters. Well, the network live shots (or "gang bangs", as I used to call them) have a reason for saying that, but the local reporter KNOWS the names of the anchors he is tossing back to. USE THEM!

Zeke
Open Line Veteran
Member # 1822

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2005 01:48 AM      Profile for Zeke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I work with a guy who has some sort of....well...he says "right on" ALL THE TIME. People nick-named him right on, and he knows why, but just can't stop saying it when being talked to.
Posts: 3289 | From: North East Kansas | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Rugen
Open Line Veteran
Member # 3056

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2005 02:02 AM      Profile for Mr. Rugen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pro:
quote:

God, I HATE that!!!!

It got started on generic network live shots and was picked up by local reporters. Well, the network live shots (or "gang bangs", as I used to call them) have a reason for saying that, but the local reporter KNOWS the names of the anchors he is tossing back to. USE THEM!

We've got a reporter in Dallas who ends EVERY live shot with "back to you". Drives me bananas.

--------------------
The First Year Teacher Blog

Posts: 6791 | From: The Machine | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
bride
Member # 5877

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2005 05:38 AM      Profile for bride   Email bride   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I'd rather hear "back to you", then "Brenda, Bob, back to you guys in the studio".

--------------------
"I marvel at it all the time. I'm the luckiest cat in the world."

- Hugh Hefner

Posts: 1483 | From: Far away | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Deconstruction Inc.
unregistered

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2005 05:42 AM            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Michigan J. Frog, unemployed mascot:

"Firefighters finally have the upper hand on this fire, Bob."

"That's right, Julie..."

or, what I'd love to see...

"Well, no, Julie, they don't have it yet..."

Or how about...

"Damn straight, Julie!"

or

"No shi*, Julie! Can you believe this crap?"

[Razz]

IP: Logged
That Camera Guy
Member # 1420

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2005 05:50 AM      Profile for That Camera Guy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Indeed...."
Posts: 821 | From: Ohio | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
blaqbelt
Member # 8933

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2005 06:34 AM      Profile for blaqbelt   Email blaqbelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about....."As you know......"

No, we don't know, that's why you are here.....

Posts: 22 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Fake Post
Open Line Veteran
Member # 6510

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2005 06:49 AM      Profile for Fake Post     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about....

"That's right Bob, and thank you for sticking to the script that I wrote."

Posts: 1977 | From: fakeland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
s'news
Open Line Veteran
Member # 2664

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2005 08:31 AM      Profile for s'news     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or, as the late Irv Kupcinet was known to often say to Jack Brickhouse during broadcasts of Chicago Bears games, "dat's right, Jack."
Posts: 14269 | From: Houston | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marty McFly
Open Line Veteran
Member # 1449

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2005 08:36 AM      Profile for Marty McFly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's right Pro! Doctors say that cold temperatures do NOT cause the cold virus, nor does it cause anyone to become infected with the cold virus.

Some people are still ignorant enough to believe otherwise.

Now, back to you...

--------------------
'No matter how disastrously some policy has turned out, anyone who criticizes it can expect to hear: "But what would you replace it with?" When you put out a fire, what do you replace it with?' – Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2782 | From: Down South | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Your Boss
Member # 1605

Icon 8 posted August 05, 2005 09:01 AM      Profile for Your Boss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Furthermore, reporters, if the anchor should ask you an unscripted question and you don't know the answer, SAY SO. There's no shame in saying, "You know what, I don't know the answer to that, but I'll find out and tell you tonight at ten." That looks a whole lot better than stuttering and stammering through a B.S. answer.

--------------------
I am Your Boss. I control your life.

Posts: 464 | From: Breathing right down your neck | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kace
Open Line Veteran
Member # 7837

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2005 09:08 AM      Profile for Kace   Author's Homepage   Email Kace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool Points to any reporter who, instead of saying "back to you" opts for "Hey Idiots! Tag, you're it again."

--------------------
55 Days To Season 5!

Our Main Event! (11/12/2007)

NCAA Basketball - Charlotte
Appalachian State Mountaineers At Charlotte 49ers

Posts: 9806 | From: The Planet | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Diplomat
Open Line Veteran
Member # 2560

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2005 09:17 AM      Profile for Diplomat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's right, it is irritating.

For live shots, I've always been fond of, "Live at City Hall, I'm Irving Schwartz, Eyewitness News."

Back to you in this thread.

--------------------
"I should sooner live in a society governed by the first two thousand names in the Boston telephone directory than in a society governed by the two thousand faculty members of Harvard University."
William F. Buckley, Jr.

Posts: 14159 | From: Where I Am | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
radio & tv
Member # 6035

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2005 10:10 AM      Profile for radio & tv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by s'news:
Or, as the late Irv Kupcinet was known to often say to Jack Brickhouse during broadcasts of Chicago Bears games, "dat's right, Jack."

With the occasional "Rite choo are, Jack...." for variety...

--------------------
"There are four things you should never argue: religion, politics, women, and baseball." - my Uncle Charlie, who died in 1980

Posts: 1156 | From: "Sunny" Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sultanosurf
Open Line Veteran
Member # 4846

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2005 10:21 AM      Profile for Sultanosurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny, I always thought the most overworked opener was "Well..."

"That's right" is a product of bad anchoring or bad writing. If you're crafting the toss around a question, you can expect to get burned. Why not just get to the reporter and let them tell the story, instead of the producer or anchor trying to get crafty on the toss?

Another of my pet peeves is "guys," as in "Back to you guys at the studio." Yo, can youse get any lazier?

Posts: 4037 | From: Sunwashed Surf | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tripe Face
Open Line Veteran
Member # 3328

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2005 10:27 AM      Profile for Tripe Face     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember that Cincinnati reporter who got thrown in jail for fondling the little boys he met while being a volunteer "mentor" long before that hit the fan, he was dragged in to the News Directors office for different trouble.

He was sent to be live from breaking news scene a fire or somesuch. The anchors gave the basic story and tossed to him for his first live shot. He said (paraphrasing here) Well, you just told the whole story, I have nothing to add, back to you!

You should have HEARD the newsroom after THAT live shot.

--------------------
"Tripe is getting far too much attention.
There will be no dealing with him soon." Writer2 11/9/07

Posts: 9684 | From: From the Student Section of Mountaineer Stadium | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Sleeper
Open Line Veteran
Member # 8694

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2005 10:41 AM      Profile for The Sleeper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about the reporters just start talking when they are tossed to?
How about they avoid referencing the anchors since they are talking to the viewers and not the anchors?

It's simple folks.

--------------------
I love 2nd Guessers. They couldn't come up with the idea first!

Posts: 1691 | From: Reality | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lazlo Toth
Open Line Veteran
Member # 4867

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2005 11:16 AM      Profile for Lazlo Toth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bride:
quote:

I'd rather hear "back to you", then "Brenda, Bob, back to you guys in the studio".
Same thing on steroids. Just another version of "back to you."

I too would rather just hear, "Reporting live, Joe Blow, KXYZ News."

And don't you just love to hear that anchor question in your ear on something you already covered in the story? And once Barbie asks a question, Ken has to have one too. So he asks something that was covered in the story.

Once had an anchor ask me five questions, all of which had been covered in the live shot. Hard not to appear annoyed by the third or fourth one. But at least I knew the answers ..and so did the audience.

[ August 05, 2005, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: Lazlo Toth ]

--------------------
Nowhere are prejudices more mistaken for truth, passion for reason, and invective for documentation than in politics. This a realm, peopled only by villains or heroes, in which everything is black or white and gray is a forbidden color.

TV's Frank
Open Line Veteran
Member # 5483

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2005 11:26 AM      Profile for TV's Frank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not crazy about the "live at X place, I'm Joe Blow, KRAP news" ... why not just have a thought or bit of information that you can include in your tag and insert the name of the anchor whom you're tossing back to ...

"... and if they get the donations they're hoping for, Allison, construction could be finished even sooner than that."

... and stop talking. The name cue lets the TD know to switch to the split screen ... your super has already been up there, so people know who you are ... and "live" is redundant, even in this age of 'as-lives' and the morons who use them.

Don't get me started on anchors tossing to and transitioning back from network insert lives by mentioning the reporter's name and then thanking them, knowing damn well that said reporter can't hear them. That's misleading and unethical.

--------------------
The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude.

Posts: 2761 | From: Not Where You Think | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lá Fhéile Pádraig Sona Daoibh
Open Line Veteran
Member # 4892

Icon 6 posted August 05, 2005 11:28 AM      Profile for Lá Fhéile Pádraig Sona Daoibh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NO NO NO...here, this is the mark of a weak anchor:

*at the beginning of each new story*

"Well...scientists have found..."
"Well...taxes are going up..."
"Well...news improvements in technology..."

or

"And police find a body at...."
"And cars with power locks..."
"And tomorrow is a carnival..."

or, for reporters...

*coming back from a pack to a live tag*

"Now, police aren't saying..."
"Now, the bike will be replaced..."
"Now, the Senator says..."

"Well," "And," and "Now" are comfort words. They help green and weak anchors and reporters to get into another topic or start a new sentence.

DO NOT USE, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES

You sound inexperienced, whether you are or not.

Thank you.

- the Pagan Bastard Association for People Against the Misuse of WA&N

--------------------
"Admiral Kelly, Captain Card, officers and sailors of the USS Abraham Lincoln, my fellow Americans, major combat operations in Iraq have ended. In the battle of Iraq, the United States and our allies have prevailed."

- George W. Bush
May 1, 2003

Posts: 3516 | From: Midwest | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
masscomm101
Member # 5534

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2005 11:43 AM      Profile for masscomm101         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone seriously suggested a reporter (who is not as well known to the viewer) IGNORE the anchor and just start talking?! That certainly sends an interesting signal to the viewer that the reporter doesn't have a clue who just tossed to them.

--------------------
"Where the press is free and every man able to read, all is safe." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 286 | From: San Diego | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
NewsMom
Member # 3560

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2005 11:58 AM      Profile for NewsMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pagan beat me to the keyboard, to harp on the most annoying thing I hear in liveshots.

Now, it starts when the reporter needs to say
something else, and needs a second to be articulate.

Now, it's usually a phony way to seem casual, as if it's a real "conversation" with the audience.

Now, it drives me crazy.

Now, go away and never use the word NOW to start a sentence, unless you're making a sharp contrast to another time period.

--------------------
"If your mother says she loves you, check it out." A.A. Dornfeld, City News Bureau of Chicago

Posts: 460 | From: The East Coast | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Delicious Bass
Member # 8353

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2005 12:01 PM      Profile for Delicious Bass     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At first glance, I actually thought this thread was devoted to the final two words of "Boogie Nights."

[party]

Posts: 227 | From: somewhere out there | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelvin Hemholtz
Member # 4288

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2005 04:54 PM      Profile for Kelvin Hemholtz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The whole damn thing is stilted. It's OBVIOUS to viewers at home that scripts have been written ahead of time and that the anchors most likely know the answers to any questions they ask. (Breaking news is the exception).

I always think it's just dumb looking to have an anchor PRETEND they don't know anything coming into the piece - then ask a detailed question after the package runs.

Example: Joe Blow is at the courthouse, and what happened there today? -- then the reporter does his/her thing and the anchor asks something witn completely new info like "so in TWO WEEKS he'll be back in court... what do his lawyers expect him to do?" How could the anchor NOT know anything at the start then have ADDITIONAL info for the Q&A?

My personal LEAST favorite toss: "what can you tell us?" right after the anchors have just spit out 3 or 4 facts. To the viewer it's like saying: Here's the gist of the story, now, can you re-state what I just said - only in a different way?

Just leave it at: Joe Blow is live with more.... THEN just RUN with it in the field...

[ August 05, 2005, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: Kelvin Hemholtz (Not Lou Holtz) ]

--------------------
"I bought an IPod that holds up to 5,000 songs. Or one voice mail from my mother."

Steven Wright

Posts: 1046 | From: East of West | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
upandown
Open Line Veteran
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2005 05:10 PM      Profile for upandown   Email upandown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We also make a mistake in adressing anchors by name.

With, "That's right, John..." we subconsciously exclude the viewers.

[ August 05, 2005, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: upandown ]

Fake Post
Open Line Veteran
Member # 6510

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2005 05:28 PM      Profile for Fake Post     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by upandown:
We also make a mistake in adressing anchors by name.

With, "That's right, John..." we subconsciously exclude the viewers.

Not sure about this one...

Should we say when we are pitched to...?

"People (folks) here's what's happening at City Hall."

or "For you South Bay residents, power will be out for the remainder of the evening."

IMHO the best pitch back to an anchor goes something like this...

"City leaders are working to remedy the budget shorfalls. (Insert anchor name) if those problems are not fixed, more services will be cut." (stop talking)

Posts: 1977 | From: fakeland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
call me sam
Member # 1037

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2005 06:43 PM      Profile for call me sam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our reporters are told to sig out -- in xxx, i'm joe blow, wxyz news. But some of them add a "for now" in there, as in "we'll have more information later tonight, but for now, live in xxx, I'm Joe Blow, WXYZ news"

For now. Later, I'll be somewhere else, perhaps reporting for someone else, but for now.... Once in a while it might make sense, but repeated over and over it kills me. I also worked with an anchor who said "you're exactly right" at the beginning of every live shot. We all said it with him in the control room. Finally one of the producers pointed it out to him and he quit. He didn't even realize he was doing it.

I give reporters some slack though; I've never had to do it, and verbal patterns are no doubt easy to fall into.

Posts: 360 | From: south | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lazlo Toth
Open Line Veteran
Member # 4867

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2005 07:47 PM      Profile for Lazlo Toth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by produce this:
Our reporters are told to sig out -- in xxx, i'm joe blow, wxyz news. But some of them add a "for now" in there, as in "we'll have more information later tonight, but for now, live in xxx, I'm Joe Blow, WXYZ news"

For now. Later, I'll be somewhere else, perhaps reporting for someone else, but for now.... Once in a while it might make sense, but repeated over and over it kills me. I also worked with an anchor who said "you're exactly right" at the beginning of every live shot. We all said it with him in the control room. Finally one of the producers pointed it out to him and he quit. He didn't even realize he was doing it.

I give reporters some slack though; I've never had to do it, and verbal patterns are no doubt easy to fall into.

"For now, I'm ... "

and who will you be later?

An anchor in our market used to say, "For everyone here at Channel X, I'm ...."

And we always wanted know who she was for people not at Channel X.

--------------------

Mom
Open Line Veteran
Member # 553

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2005 08:34 PM      Profile for Mom   Email Mom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God forbid I bring up the Holy Grail of Live Shots but I'm going to anyway. You all make valid points about the stupid things said by reporters but from an audience point of view the stupidest is "I"m Sarah Strongheart, LIVE, from the courthouse" or "Reporting LIVE from the site of today's shooting, I'm Larry Lungful. Consultants would fall over dead on the spot if someone suggested dropping the word "Live" but it's rather meaningless when the story isn't breaking news. It doesn't matter that you're live in the room where a meeting was held 3 hours ago. Nobody cares. Whenever I hear someone say, "I'm live ..." I always, in my head, respond with "As opposed to what? You're dead?" Someone a long time ago convinced every broadcaster in the world that the only way to get ratings is to be and say "LIVE" whenever possible. It's a cheap gimmick and I'm pretty sure that most of the viewers get that it's a cheap gimmick, done, not for their benefit but for the benefit of the station. Acting self-serving is never a good thing.
Posts: 1855 | From: south | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
WalMartNation
Member # 8521

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2005 09:02 PM      Profile for WalMartNation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TV's Frank:

Don't get me started on anchors tossing to and transitioning back from network insert lives by mentioning the reporter's name and then thanking them, knowing damn well that said reporter can't hear them. That's misleading and unethical.

By all means Frank, get started, I can't stand anchors who thank Manuel Geaelgos (sp) or Aileen Sirgany for their reporting on the Colorado wildfires from a small market shop 6 states away.
One dump market I worked in, our lone competitor would get custom outcues for every network fronted pkg, and I mean EVERY one during ratings.
"In Rocky Mountain National Park, I'm Joe Schmoe reporting for NBC News. Dumb Anchor... now back to you"
Dumb Anchor: "Thank you Joe, stay clear of those fires, hopefully the crews make more progress tomorrow."
Made me seriously consider violence toward the television I watched it on.

--------------------
"The courts have determined that 'Pain and Suffering' only applies when the doctor leaves his pager in your spleen" Helen Morgenndorffer of MTV's 'Daria'

Posts: 1131 | From: Southern Alaska | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Diplomat
Open Line Veteran
Member # 2560

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2005 10:18 PM      Profile for Diplomat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mom:
God forbid I bring up the Holy Grail of Live Shots but I'm going to anyway. You all make valid points about the stupid things said by reporters but from an audience point of view the stupidest is "I"m Sarah Strongheart, LIVE, from the courthouse" or "Reporting LIVE from the site of today's shooting, I'm Larry Lungful. Consultants would fall over dead on the spot if someone suggested dropping the word "Live" but it's rather meaningless when the story isn't breaking news. It doesn't matter that you're live in the room where a meeting was held 3 hours ago. Nobody cares. Whenever I hear someone say, "I'm live ..." I always, in my head, respond with "As opposed to what? You're dead?" Someone a long time ago convinced every broadcaster in the world that the only way to get ratings is to be and say "LIVE" whenever possible. It's a cheap gimmick and I'm pretty sure that most of the viewers get that it's a cheap gimmick, done, not for their benefit but for the benefit of the station. Acting self-serving is never a good thing.

I always wanted to hear someone end with "TAPED at City Hall, I'm Felix Katt, Action News."

--------------------
"I should sooner live in a society governed by the first two thousand names in the Boston telephone directory than in a society governed by the two thousand faculty members of Harvard University."
William F. Buckley, Jr.

Posts: 14159 | From: Where I Am | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Another side
Open Line Veteran
Member # 1698

Icon 1 posted August 06, 2005 02:39 AM      Profile for Another side     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mom:

Agreed, Mom. I can only think of one time when I wasn't sure whether the shot was live, and that was rushing to the TV just before the second plane hit on 9/11. I remember yelling to no one in particular, "My God, is this LIVE???"

And, now, well, let me add my objections to custom tags -- they're dishonest, unethical and cheesy, and any anchor that can "thank" the reporter without feeling squeamish should be put through a thorough background check.

Posts: 6991 | From: The Midwest | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
bride
Member # 5877

Icon 1 posted August 06, 2005 07:06 AM      Profile for bride   Email bride   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pagan Bastard:
NO NO NO...here, this is the mark of a weak anchor:

*at the beginning of each new story*

"Well...scientists have found..."
"Well...taxes are going up..."
"Well...news improvements in technology..."

or

"And police find a body at...."
"And cars with power locks..."
"And tomorrow is a carnival..."

or, for reporters...

*coming back from a pack to a live tag*

"Now, police aren't saying..."
"Now, the bike will be replaced..."
"Now, the Senator says..."

You're right... this screams of inexperience! But so many anchors do it, and no one calls them on it. Every story begins with "well..." or "now..." It sounds so much CLEANER when you just start the story as it's scripted.

But honestly, I think all this back to you stuff.... it bothers us in the industry much more than it bothers people at home. We all need to lighten up.

--------------------
"I marvel at it all the time. I'm the luckiest cat in the world."

- Hugh Hefner

Posts: 1483 | From: Far away | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
s'news
Open Line Veteran
Member # 2664

Icon 1 posted August 06, 2005 10:06 AM      Profile for s'news     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by radio & tv:
quote:
Originally posted by s'news:

With the occasional "Rite choo are, Jack...." for variety...
If there weren't some drinking games associated with these, there shoulda been.
s'news
Open Line Veteran
Member # 2664

Icon 1 posted August 06, 2005 10:13 AM      Profile for s'news     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Frank, by the way, on casually saying anchor names in the last part of a liveshot, while finishing a final thought. It's natural. It's conversational. It says "live" without having to say "live."

Ending a liveshot with call letters bothers me. You're live, yet you end in a nonconversational way. Shoot, it almost belies the point of being live since it sounds like the end of a taped package.

Ditto also the thought offered by Your Boss on a reporter saying he/she doesn't know the answer if asked a question where they don't know the answer. You say "I don't know. I'll see what I can find out. I do know that ..." and you briefly add some information.

All times are PST (US)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | MediaLine | Privacy Statement