Click to return to the MediaLine main page.
Click to return to the MediaLine main page.
FORUM UPGRADE! Please start using the new forum at this address: http://openline.medialine.com
The older forum will stay up but in "read only" mode, which means that no new posts or user registrations are allowed.
MediaLine's Open Line

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» MediaLine's Open Line   » Open Line   » Bush's 10:30a speech (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Bush's 10:30a speech
east coast producer
Open Line Veteran
Member # 2365

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 07:39 AM      Profile for east coast producer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
His speech is making me want to liquidate my assets and donate it all to the ACLU.

Also, his voice makes me want to poke my ears out with a stubby pencil.

--------------------
The Washington Post's "Faces of the Fallen"

Posts: 2386 | From: new york city | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
2:30
Open Line Veteran
Member # 7186

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 08:05 AM      Profile for 2:30   Email 2:30   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More nonsense from the man who would be king.

--------------------
1-21-09. Regime change!

Posts: 4226 | From: small screen | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
rootboyslim
Open Line Veteran
Member # 706

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 08:11 AM      Profile for rootboyslim   Email rootboyslim   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 2:30:

According to you, he is King.

--------------------
It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care!

FEAR THE TURTLE!
GO TERPS!

Posts: 9615 | From: Southeast, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Weatherdaddy
Member # 3262

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 08:15 AM      Profile for Weatherdaddy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congress was briefed 12 times on this program. They knew about it, and until this leaked to the overly-eager-to-continue-to-paint-Bush-in-a-negative-light press, (book forth coming no doubt) nothing would have been said.

This whole "uproar" is bull****!

If you want to communicate with known Al-Quieda operatives and affiliates, be prepared to be monitored! Period!

--------------------
Unafraid and unapologetic

Posts: 1381 | From: USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
LunchPenalty
Open Line Veteran
Member # 5248

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 09:00 AM      Profile for LunchPenalty   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 2:30:

After ALL the cut and pastes. After ALL the name calling. After ALL the requests to address these issues. After ALL the hatred.

THAT is all you've got?

Hilarious.

--------------------
The Detroit Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three. (OK, make it four.)

-Bob Nightengale, USA TODAY

Posts: 4889 | From: Toddler Hell | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firestarter
Member # 6179

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 09:09 AM      Profile for Firestarter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the suggested intro to a package offered from the network today: Notice the editorialized use of the word "scandal".

quote:
AFTER ADDRESSING THE NATION LAST NIGHT...
THIS MORNING, PRESIDENT BUSH TOOK ON REPORTER'S QUESTIONS IN A WIDE-RANGING, YEAR-END NEWS CONFERENCE THAT COVERED IRAQ... THE ECONOMY... AND THE DEVELOPING DOMESTIC SPYING SCANDAL.

Who says it's a scandal? It places this effort to keep us safe from Americans who are conversing on international calls with known members of Al-Qaeda. My family and I have no problem with that...and you shouldn't either.
Feel free to donate your cake to the ACLU. They'll use it to defend the North American Man-Boy Love Association. One of the many prestigious clients they have right now. You extreme left wing freaks would rather us all die in another attack than listen in on international calls involving known members of the group that attacked us. How you don't see the good intentions here is moronic.

--------------------
Question Authority.

Posts: 1169 | From: Northwoods | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kace
Open Line Veteran
Member # 7837

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 09:13 AM      Profile for Kace   Author's Homepage   Email Kace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The possibility of the Federal Government being able to legally spy on me whenever they want doesn't exactly make me feel...safe.

--------------------
55 Days To Season 5!

Our Main Event! (11/12/2007)

NCAA Basketball - Charlotte
Appalachian State Mountaineers At Charlotte 49ers

Posts: 9806 | From: The Planet | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firestarter
Member # 6179

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 09:14 AM      Profile for Firestarter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are on the horn...internationally with a known member of Al-Qaeda...I want my government tapping the call. Sorry--the mindset has changed since 9/11.

--------------------
Question Authority.

kneedinthegroin
Open Line Veteran
Member # 2166

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 09:16 AM      Profile for kneedinthegroin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Weatherdaddy's Ho-Ho-Hos:
Congress was briefed 12 times on this program. They knew about it, and until this leaked to the overly-eager-to-continue-to-paint-Bush-in-a-negative-light press, (book forth coming no doubt) nothing would have been said.

This whole "uproar" is bull****!

If you want to communicate with known Al-Quieda operatives and affiliates, be prepared to be monitored! Period!

And if you want to hold a rally for peace....prepare to be monitored! I guess in your book they're one and the same.

--------------------
God is not a republican....or a democrat

The Bible is the single most shoplifted book.

Posts: 2834 | From: Slightly south of normal | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pro
Open Line Veteran
Member # 5396

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 09:17 AM      Profile for Pro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DeNunzio:
You extreme left wing freaks would rather us all die in another attack than listen in on international calls involving known members of the group that attacked us. How you don't see the good intentions here is moronic.

If you followed the details on this situation, you'd know beter than that. Nobody is saying that there shouldn't have been any wiretaps. But there is a federal law mandating how court authorization for such wiretaps is obtained. And that law was, apparently, not followed by the Bush Administration. The President felt, it would appear, that by issuing executive orders he could by-pass federal law.

[ December 19, 2005, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: Pro ]

LunchPenalty
Open Line Veteran
Member # 5248

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 09:18 AM      Profile for LunchPenalty   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
This is the suggested intro to a package offered from the network today: Notice the editorialized use of the word "scandal".

quote:
THIS MORNING, PRESIDENT BUSH TOOK ON REPORTER'S QUESTIONS IN A WIDE-RANGING, YEAR-END NEWS CONFERENCE THAT COVERED IRAQ... THE ECONOMY... AND THE DEVELOPING DOMESTIC SPYING SCANDAL.

Who says it's a scandal? It places this effort to keep us safe from Americans who are conversing on international calls with known members of Al-Qaeda. My family and I have no problem with that...and you shouldn't either.
Feel free to donate your cake to the ACLU. They'll use it to defend the North American Man-Boy Love Association. One of the many prestigious clients they have right now. You extreme left wing freaks would rather us all die in another attack than listen in on international calls involving known members of the group that attacked us. How you don't see the good intentions here is moronic.

But, but, there is no liberal media!

But, but!

--------------------
The Detroit Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three. (OK, make it four.)

Duh
Open Line Veteran
Member # 5069

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 09:20 AM      Profile for Duh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, if you're reeeeaaallly ascared of terrorists -- get yer some body armour and find yerself a cave in the mountains of Montana.

Good grief! I'm tired of this administration -- and their apologists --- screaming "the terrorists are gonna get ya" every time they get into PR trouble or want to do something TRUE conservatives wouldn't dream of allowing their gov't to do.

The Constitution is there to protect citizens from gov't -- not the other way around.

Posts: 4632 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firestarter
Member # 6179

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 09:21 AM      Profile for Firestarter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a matter of semantics. Those who raise this issue, and those who leaked this information, believe that something was illegal about this. The President and his staff believe his actions were within the bounds of the law. Great, this is what our Senate needs to hold hearings on. As Mr. Bush said today, the fact that this is public means that Al-Qaeda knows how we monitor them. They will adjust and we are weaker in the area of intelligence as a result of this story...and this leak.

--------------------
Question Authority.

LunchPenalty
Open Line Veteran
Member # 5248

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 09:25 AM      Profile for LunchPenalty   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SanDuh:
You know, if you're reeeeaaallly ascared of terrorists -- get yer some body armour and find yerself a cave in the mountains of Montana.

Why don't you go pick up yerself a phone and call some families who lost loved ones at the WTC and share this gem.

--------------------

Pro
Open Line Veteran
Member # 5396

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 09:27 AM      Profile for Pro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Great, this is what our Senate needs to hold hearings on.

On that much we agree. Hearings need to be held, and soon.
Weatherdaddy
Member # 3262

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 09:28 AM      Profile for Weatherdaddy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kneedintheornaments:
And if you want to hold a rally for peace....prepare to be monitored! I guess in your book they're one and the same.

I never said that, Kneed. Are you trying to put words in my mouth?

When has it ever been suggested that this project was used to spy those who wish to peacably assemble? When?

And everyone knows that Al-Quieda is known for peaceful assembly. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Unafraid and unapologetic

Posts: 1381 | From: USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Duh
Open Line Veteran
Member # 5069

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 09:29 AM      Profile for Duh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LunchPenalty:
quote:

Why don't you go pick up yerself a phone and call some families who lost loved ones at the WTC and share this gem.
You think they should live in fear for the rest of their lives? Do you think we should?

If so, the war on terror is over -- and THEY won!

LunchPenalty
Open Line Veteran
Member # 5248

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 09:32 AM      Profile for LunchPenalty   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just think what you said was highly offensive, that's all.

If you think winning the war on terror simply involves eliminating fear by throwing around hyperbole; you are not only naive, but have other agendas.

[ December 19, 2005, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: LunchPenalty ]

--------------------

Bandit '07
Open Line Veteran
Member # 3260

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 09:46 AM      Profile for Bandit '07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Weatherdaddy's Ho-Ho-Hos:
quote:
Originally posted by kneedintheornaments:

I never said that, Kneed. Are you trying to put words in my mouth?

When has it ever been suggested that this project was used to spy those who wish to peacably assemble? When?

And everyone knows that Al-Quieda is known for peaceful assembly. [Roll Eyes]

You might want to check this story out Weatherdaddy ...
web page

--------------------
http://twitter.com/weatherchaos - link to my Twitter page. (Yes, I am a twit.)

Posts: 2411 | From: NC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
New York'rr
Member # 2991

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 09:47 AM      Profile for New York'rr         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you ever see that show "24"? Great show.

Kiefer Sutherland plays Jack Bauer, an agent of the Counter-Terrorist Unit in Los Angeles.

Last season, he thwarted a nuclear attack by terrorists who were trying to nuke Los Angeles.

Jack had to do battle with ACLU lawyers, he had to torture an American citizen to get crucial information (he just broke the guy's pinky finger), he had to tell boldface lies to the Chinese communists, whose nuclear scientist was helping the terrorists, and he had to promise immunity to someone who was clearly guilty, to gain critical information. The "CTU" eavesdropped on anyone and everyone, at will. They used satellite real-time imagery to spy on any piece of territory they needed to. They acted with haste, since lives were at stake.

In the end, the plot was foiled and the missile was disarmed.

It's a very realistic - looking show. You have to wonder while you're watching it, how would any of this be possible if the liberals and the Desperate Dems were in charge? The answer is, LA would have been nuked if the Desperate Dems had their way. The ACLU lawyers would have sprung the terrorists from custody. The American who was in cahoots with the terrorists would never have been questioned. The Chi-Coms would have successfully hidden the criminal nuclear scientist.

The Desperate Dems have begun to beat the drum and sing a new one-note symphony with this "eavesdropping scandal". Unfortunately for them, there is no political hay to be made. The American people are fully behind any strategy to stop another 9/11 attack. The Desperate Dems are flat-out lying when they claim that terrorism has "gotten worse" since the Iraq liberation. The 9/11-type attacks which were planned to occur in the past three years have been thwarted, thanks to stepped-up surveillance.

Members of Congress were notified of the surveillance years ago. It has been revealed that the New York Times sat on the "story" for months so it would coincide with the Iraqi elections and help the sales of a book being published by Simon and Schuster.

The Desperate Dems were caught off-guard and off-balance when Bush forcefully defended the surveillance as necessary for national security. They were hoping for the usual low-key non-response which the Bush White House has typically come up with when the Desperate Dems make their wild, unsubstantiated, hypocritical attacks. OOPS! Bush came back and threw it in their face. They look pretty clueless right now, standing with the terrorists. It's backfiring on them already.

dunebuggy
Member # 7106

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 09:47 AM      Profile for dunebuggy   Email dunebuggy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought issues like this were moot. It only works if you assume you have a right to privacy. There is no more privacy within the US. There are states attempting to ban smoking on your own property, governments can now take your property with relative ease through eminent domain because the scope of that law has been brodened so much, your personal info can be sold, and it's relatively easy to get your social security number. Now in someplaces you don't need to sign a credit cards and disputes are difficult. Add to all that that there are cameras everywhere, that's an exageration, but not by much in major cities, and privacy is gone. If you're famous you can assume that someone is listening to your cell phone call.

The difference with the federal government doing it in this case is that the only reason I see in them doing it is to protect Americans. That's it.

Posts: 414 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Duh
Open Line Veteran
Member # 5069

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 09:49 AM      Profile for Duh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I just think what you said was highly offensive, that's all.

If you think winning the war on terror simply involves eliminating fear by throwing around hyperbole; you are not only naive, but have other agendas.

Not sure what you found offensive in that, or how you relate it to those that died on 9/11.

They indeed deserve to be mourned -- as do all the people who died in auto accidents, cancer and other diseases, shootings, beatings, robberies.

That has absolutely nothing to do with this conversation.

I find trying to scare Americans out of their Constitutional rights to be offensive.

The Constitution IS this country. Without it America isn't America anymore. Isn't that what the terrorists want?

TV's Frank
Open Line Veteran
Member # 5483

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 09:53 AM      Profile for TV's Frank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That the libs and others now feel the threat of terrorism is "over-rated" (title of another thread) tells me President Bush has done and done well the job he's been elected to do: protect American citizens from external dangers. Four-plus years of vigilance and a proactive foreign policy have prevented further terror attacks on U-S soil, enough to the point that the left can feel safe enough to b!tch and moan over non-issues like this. That they don't see these things as legitimate, important tools in the fight against terrorism shows how dangerously naive and short-sighted they continue to be. Bush continues to fight the real enemy: nameless, faceless terrorists who want nothing more than to kill us, while the libs must conjure up their own boogeyman in the person of the President. They don't have the stomach for a real fight against a real enemy, so Bush becomes a convenient whupping boy for them. Fine, have at it. But the adults and serious-minded people in this country and in our government know better ... and thank God they're the ones in charge right now.

--------------------
The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude.

Posts: 2761 | From: Not Where You Think | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Duh
Open Line Veteran
Member # 5069

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 09:54 AM      Profile for Duh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by New York'rr:

It's a very realistic - looking show.

You know, Buffy showed us the tools we need to fight vampires. Perhaps every family should have such a kit in their basement.
[Eek!]

LOL - I'm sorry New Yorkrr -- you just made it toooooo easy.

facts
Open Line Veteran
Member # 3324

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 09:56 AM      Profile for facts         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm alarmed we're turning to "24" to justify ignoring the constitution.

Note the president said NASA was monitoring communications.

almostlive
Member # 3975

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 09:56 AM      Profile for almostlive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

quote:

But, but!

Fascinating. Just for fun, I ran a search of the CNN, ABC, and AP wires we get in my newsroom... looking for anything containing the words "Bush" and "scandal" in the same script. The search covers about three days worth of wire copy. How many items contained the two words? Zero.
Posts: 1181 | From: Home on the Range | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Duh
Open Line Veteran
Member # 5069

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 09:59 AM      Profile for Duh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TV's Frankincense and Myrrh:
Bush continues to fight the real enemy: nameless, faceless terrorists who want nothing more than to kill us, while the libs must conjure up their own boogeyman in the person of the President. They don't have the stomach for a real fight against a real enemy, so Bush becomes a convenient whupping boy for them. Fine, have at it.

More -- MANY MORE -- people die from heart disease than terrorism. I think a war on fat would be of better benefit, way cheaper, and save many more American lives than ripping the Constitution to shreds.
Head Janitor
Member # 1149

Icon 13 posted December 19, 2005 10:03 AM      Profile for Head Janitor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It's a matter of semantics. Those who raise this issue, and those who leaked this information, believe that something was illegal about this. The President and his staff believe his actions were within the bounds of the law. Great, this is what our Senate needs to hold hearings on. As Mr. Bush said today, the fact that this is public means that Al-Qaeda knows how we monitor them. They will adjust and we are weaker in the area of intelligence as a result of this story...and this leak.

It seems President Bush superceded a perfectly good system to do things in secret. And now that the secret's been blown, he's upset about that. So why didn't he just stick to the system in place?

Oh, and by the way, I'm gonna bet that Al Qaeda had a pretty good suspicion that we were keeping track of its members already.

Posts: 941 | From: Between Here & There | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
TV's Frank
Open Line Veteran
Member # 5483

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 10:03 AM      Profile for TV's Frank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Bush continues to fight the real enemy: nameless, faceless terrorists who want nothing more than to kill us, while the libs must conjure up their own boogeyman in the person of the President. They don't have the stomach for a real fight against a real enemy, so Bush becomes a convenient whupping boy for them. Fine, have at it.

More -- MANY MORE -- people die from heart disease than terrorism. I think a war on fat would be of better benefit, way cheaper, and save many more American lives than ripping the Constitution to shreds.
C'mon, Duh, you can do better than this. When heart disease sneaks up and kills innocent children and people who are otherwise fit and healthy and does it all in a split second without warning, then you can argue this.

--------------------
The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude.

Michigan J. Frog
Open Line Veteran
Member # 4050

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 10:03 AM      Profile for Michigan J. Frog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If you are on the horn...internationally with a known member of Al-Qaeda...I want my government tapping the call. Sorry--the mindset has changed since 9/11.

What if I'm not and they're listening in anyway?

Is that okay with you?

I had thought conservatives were in favor of things like the Bill of Rights and other limits on what the government can do to its own citizens.

Guess not.

--------------------
"It would indeed be ironic if, in the name of national defense, we would sanction the subversion of those liberties which make the defense of the nation worthwhile." -Earl Warren

Posts: 6254 | From: Heck | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
2:30
Open Line Veteran
Member # 7186

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 10:05 AM      Profile for 2:30   Email 2:30   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
24...that's a show on Fox. Hmmm...what a surprise that the organization defending constitutional rights would be considered the bad guys.

--------------------
1-21-09. Regime change!

Posts: 4226 | From: small screen | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Michigan J. Frog
Open Line Veteran
Member # 4050

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 10:06 AM      Profile for Michigan J. Frog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

C'mon, Duh, you can do better than this. When heart disease sneaks up and kills innocent children and people who are otherwise fit and healthy and does it all in a split second without warning, then you can argue this.
Okay.

50,000 Americans die every year in car crashes.

I don't see anyone panicking over that.

But boogeyman terrorists, oh, now that idea's good for creating a climate of fear.

--------------------
"It would indeed be ironic if, in the name of national defense, we would sanction the subversion of those liberties which make the defense of the nation worthwhile." -Earl Warren

Michigan J. Frog
Open Line Veteran
Member # 4050

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 10:11 AM      Profile for Michigan J. Frog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by New York'rr:

You jumped on the "Bash Murphy Brown" bandwagon back in the day with your buddy Dan Quayle, didn't you?

It's fiction.

It isn't real.

Because, hey, we could just get Superman to beat the terrorists for us if you want to start citing TV shows as examples of how things should be done.

Citing a fictional TV show in this discussion?

THAT is desperation!

--------------------

Firestarter
Member # 6179

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 10:15 AM      Profile for Firestarter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

But, but!

Fascinating. Just for fun, I ran a search of the CNN, ABC, and AP wires we get in my newsroom... looking for anything containing the words "Bush" and "scandal" in the same script. The search covers about three days worth of wire copy. How many items contained the two words? Zero.

It was from Tracie Potts' lead-in to the live pkg at noon eastern. I didn't make it up...but nice try.
As for the Heart Disease and Car Crash attempts, how sad that you resort to that. And to label people that blow themselves up inside wedding receptions and fly commercial airplanes into skyscrapers "boogeymen". I guess that's back-handed compliment to the President and his administration on a job well done in the war on terror. It's now a punchline for libs who do not believe there is a threat. You all would be calling him incompetent if we had been attacked since 9/11. You can't have it both ways.

--------------------
Question Authority.

TV's Frank
Open Line Veteran
Member # 5483

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 10:16 AM      Profile for TV's Frank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Michigan J. Frog:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Okay.

50,000 Americans die every year in car crashes.

I don't see anyone panicking over that.

But boogeyman terrorists, oh, now that idea's good for creating a climate of fear.

Given the myriad of laws that govern how, when, where and who can drive a car and what they can do while they're driving it, your point makes no sense. The government takes/has taken steps to make sure people are as safe as possible on the roads ... the same thing they're trying to do with a much more malicious and unpredictable enemy.

It's incredible that liberals fear their own government more than they do terrorists. Again, that's a tribute to President Bush and what this administration has been able to do in the past four years.

--------------------

Ryder13
Open Line Veteran
Member # 1673

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 10:17 AM      Profile for Ryder13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Head Janitor:
quote:

It seems President Bush superceded a perfectly good system to do things in secret. And now that the secret's been blown, he's upset about that. So why didn't he just stick to the system in place?

Oh, and by the way, I'm gonna bet that Al Qaeda had a pretty good suspicion that we were keeping track of its members already.

And THAT is the problem. My understanding is the system works (or was supposed to work) like this.

If the Executive branch believes there is a threat where they needed to wire-tap a call -- the President can go ahead and authorize it RIGHT THEN! (The argument being that waiting for a court order might be too long and critical information would be missed. Considering the speed at which some of this information is passed -- this is a legitimate concern.)

HOWEVER, then the Executive branch has 72 hours to appear before the court (and there is a special secure court set up EXPRESSLY for this purpose -- the FISA court) and justify this action. If the court finds that there is/was probable cause, the order is issued RETROACTIVELY.

I simply do not understand what would be so difficult about following that law.

EDIT to add: Tracie Potts works for NBC NewsChannel. So that's one for you "Tony". (Although, quite frankly I think the word "scandal" is thrown around far too freely -- just like using the suffix "-gate" for the same purpose.)

Now, CNN, AP, and ABC are apparently not using the word scandal. Three against.

Further it is a "suggested" intro. I can't speak for you -- but I have altered intros from the net news services many times, because I thought the wording was perjorative, sensationalist or just plain bad writing. And on a few occasions -- simply incorrect or inaccurate.

[ December 19, 2005, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: Ryder13 ]

--------------------
"We know you have a choice, thanks for watching."

Posts: 2690 | From: The Front Range | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Duh
Open Line Veteran
Member # 5069

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 10:21 AM      Profile for Duh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Whether split second or slow - death is death, Frank.

Seems to me we have bigger problems than terrorism when it comes to our innocent children.

The New Childhood Epidemic: Diabesity Only grown-ups used to get type 2 diabetes. Now one in three American kids is developing it http://www.prevention.com/article/0,5778,s1-6-73-164-3450-1,00.html

TV's Frank
Open Line Veteran
Member # 5483

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 10:28 AM      Profile for TV's Frank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem is, Duh, that you don't seem willing to admit that terrorism is a threat. Yes, heart disease, diabetes etc. are all dangers to our health. But so is the crazed jihadist whose sole purpose on Earth is to kill as many Americans as he can. For the last time, the fact that the President has been able to keep this nation safe since 9/11 has allowed the libs to view terrorism as an after-thought. But the threat is as real today as it was on 9/10/01 ... they haven't stopped hating us and they won't stop trying to kill as many of us as they possibly can. The naivete' of the left is both sickening and frightening.

--------------------

Michigan J. Frog
Open Line Veteran
Member # 4050

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 10:33 AM      Profile for Michigan J. Frog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It's incredible that liberals fear their own government more than they do terrorists. Again, that's a tribute to President Bush and what this administration has been able to do in the past four years.

A tribute?

How about you call it was it is: AMERICANS, a large number of them, are more afrid of the Bush government than terrorists.

Imagine that. Taking pride in the fact that the country's leader scares his constituents.

Maybe the GOP could use that in its next campaign: "Unite? No! We divide. Either you're with us or you're the enemy."

[ December 19, 2005, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: Michigan J. Frog ]

--------------------

Duh
Open Line Veteran
Member # 5069

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 10:36 AM      Profile for Duh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The problem is, Duh, that you don't seem willing to admit that terrorism is a threat. Yes, heart disease, diabetes etc. are all dangers to our health. But so is the crazed jihadist whose sole purpose on Earth is to kill as many Americans as he can. But the threat is as real today as it was on 9/10/01 ... they haven't stopped hating us and they won't stop trying to kill as many of us as they possibly can.

Okay, Frank - yes, terrorism is a threat. Does me saying it make you feel better?

Now, it's your turn to make me feel better. Rank the threat terrorism properly -- far below smoking, driving, and eating French fries.

All times are PST (US)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | MediaLine | Privacy Statement