Click to return to the MediaLine main page.
Click to return to the MediaLine main page.
MediaLine's Open Line

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» MediaLine's Open Line   » WX Line   » Disney World Media Privileges

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Disney World Media Privileges
(Not) Da Chief (Anymore)
Member # 4357

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 07:38 PM      Profile for (Not) Da Chief (Anymore)   Email (Not) Da Chief (Anymore)   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was told by a co-worker that being a part of the media, Disney World, with the proper identification, will give you a ticket for yourself and a guest.

Any truth to this? Anyone done it? How do I go about doing this if you have done it?

--------------------
Don't dis the weather!

Posts: 442 | From: Georgia | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
New York'rr
Member # 2991

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 07:45 PM      Profile for New York'rr         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need to go to

http://www.wdwnews.com

HookEcho
Member # 4832

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 07:46 PM      Profile for HookEcho   Author's Homepage   Email HookEcho   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did it a few years ago...you get two one-day passes to a park of your choice (Disney World, Epcot, Animal Kingdom, or MGM Studios...at least I think it's MGM). You need to contact their media/public relations office and they'll explain the procedure. It usually requires you faxing in verification of your employment with a TV station and the date you plan on attending. You can do the same for Sea World, Busch Gardens, and Universal Stuidos. It made for a nice vacation for my wife and me. Things may have changed since then, but it's worth checking into.

[ February 20, 2006, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: HookEcho ]

Posts: 348 | From: Really Close to Home | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
SevereClear
Open Line Veteran
Member # 2650

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 07:51 PM      Profile for SevereClear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I once went to Gatlinburg, TN and got free Dollywood tickets, Free Dixie Stampede Tickets, Free Aquarium Tickets, and half off my hotel.

It was awesome!

I'm so cheap!

Posts: 3367 | From: Among The Rice | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
WXFORECASTER
Open Line Veteran
Member # 1567

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 08:18 PM      Profile for WXFORECASTER   Author's Homepage   Email WXFORECASTER   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you work at a Texas station you can get free Six Flag tickets.

But i dont know if they will open this year as most Six Flags went bankrupt [Frown]

--------------------
The Weather Forecaster Webpage

Posts: 2246 | From: Back in the mountains | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Retired from the Biz
Member # 8429

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 08:35 PM      Profile for Retired from the Biz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Free bees are the best way to do O-Town. Universal will treat you better than Disney as you'll get hooked up with Island of Adventure and their Studio for multiple days. Disney as mentioned earlier will let you choose only one park for one day.

Sea World will treat you like a king too. Heck if you play your cards right, they'll even feed you like Shamoo.

--------------------
"Gosh, you must really like cameras," Jamie.

Posts: 903 | From: Manufactured Housing | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Al Bedo
Member # 6434

Icon 14 posted February 20, 2006 09:17 PM      Profile for Al Bedo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This could be fun, as I'll be down there in June...woohoo! [worship]

--------------------
"I may be antipasta, but I'm provolone."

Posts: 816 | From: I-90 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stormtracker_Tony
Open Line Veteran
Member # 8528

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 10:27 PM      Profile for Stormtracker_Tony     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
had a former coworker that got in free (or either discounted tickets, can't remember) to that place up in North Carolina...uhh..crap, can't think of the name of the place either! lol..maybe I should just go to bed! That's gonna bug me now! it's on the tip of my tongue, but I can't think of it

EDIT: CAROWINDS!!! maybe I'm good for another hour after all..lol

[ February 20, 2006, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: Stormtracker_Tony hearts candyfarts ]

--------------------
"It's better to give, than receive a few of these 'cross yo lip"__Fred Sanford while shaking his fists and passing around the offering plate to his church congregation

Posts: 2144 | From: Southeast US | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Medicinematt
Member # 6998

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 10:50 PM      Profile for Medicinematt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the Disney communications person is Heidi Trotta. I was in touch with her for a story last year. Not sure of her email addy.
Posts: 936 | From: The Great White North | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
LowCountry Wx
Member # 5652

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 03:26 AM      Profile for LowCountry Wx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have gone to O-Town several times and used this special perk! It makes for a great visit and also helps lighten the load on the wallet.

Would have cost me almost $500.00 for all the parks we went to if I had bought the tickets! Love those P.R. folks!

...heading back later this year so may hit up Universal Studios this time. Has been a while since I went there. Last visit was Islands of Adventure and the Citywalk.

Enjoy!

Posts: 104 | From: The Palmetto State! | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
wxornot 22
Member # 8636

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 05:28 AM      Profile for wxornot 22   Email wxornot 22   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want the Simpson's Great American Vacation on air talent get pretty good deals in Branson. I'm not a huge fan of the Senior Citizen Mecca, but it makes for a pretty cheap weekend trip. We get free passes to Silver Dollar City and White Water plus some shows.

--------------------
Matthew 16:2

Posts: 156 | From: around the next bend | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
TAFKA wacowx
Open Line Veteran
Member # 2671

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 05:38 AM      Profile for TAFKA wacowx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most, if not all amusement facilities offer media discounts. I was able to go to Sea World in San Antonio for a very low cost (it may have been free now that I think about it actually). Peruse websites or call the park and speak to someone in customer or perhaps media relations to find out what you need to do.
Posts: 6131 | From: Houston, TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
What the ?
Member # 4785

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 07:44 AM      Profile for What the ?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being a Mouse-a-holic, yes, if you give Disney a couple weeks notice, they'll give you a Park-Hopper pass for you and a friend for 1 day. (That'll save you 100+ dollars)

If you're like me and getting married to someone else in the media, it's double the freebies.

Here's the form letter I use everytime I request a free pass from the parks.

Just copy and paste, put your info in and put it on company letterhead then fax it to them. Make sure you include your e-mail address and you should hear from them within a couple of days. Disney's usually the fastest to respond.

==============================================
<DATE GOES HERE>

Fax Number: 407-566-5300

Media Relations
Disney World
Orlando, Florida

Dir Sir or Madam:

Please accept this letter as a request for two passes to ______ on ____________ 2006.

Pursuant to your media relations office the following information is needed:

Name:
Company:
Title:
Phone No:
Fax No:
E-Mail:
Please contact me via phone or fax to confirm receipt of this correspondence. If you need further information, please let me know. Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

====================================

When you go to the park, just have a media ID and your driver's license and wha-la. You're good to go.

Fax numbers for the Orlando parks are:

Sea World: 407-345-8202
Disney: 407-566-5300
Universal/Islands Adventure: 407-363-8660

If you need anything else, just PM me.

I'm out.

[Big Grin] [Moon]

Posts: 204 | From: Somewhere out there | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
WXDUDE
Member # 2235

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 09:26 AM      Profile for WXDUDE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before you take advantage of these freebies, make sure you know your company policy on accepting free stuff like admission to theme parks and hotel rooms, etc. (or the Bahamas Weather Conference!) I've been to Disney World, Sea World, Universal, varous ski resorts on media comp passes...but since I started working for LARGE broadcasting companies (who all seem to have strict policies againt payola, plugola, etc) the freebies have come to an end. Just putting that out there...
Posts: 1151 | From: Denver | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
kmfdmatt
Open Line Veteran
Member # 3003

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 09:33 AM      Profile for kmfdmatt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WXDUDE, you beat me to it. With my station's new policy, I could quite possibly lose my job if I took these freebies...

--------------------
Boy, you look better than good! You look like a weatherman!

Posts: 3922 | From: PA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
50 Percent Chance
Member # 1960

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 09:55 AM      Profile for 50 Percent Chance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kmfdmatt:
WXDUDE, you beat me to it. With my station's new policy, I could quite possibly lose my job if I took these freebies...

...which is why I always kept a dime or a dollar in my pocket just for this purpose. I didn't accept anything for free. I always paid 'something' for it. Little trick that is technically legal and could save ya in a pinch.

Yes, even when I went to Disney...I gave a nickel to the girl who gave me my tickets...

[ February 21, 2006, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: 50 Percent Chance ]

--------------------
"Damn, doppler's down. Paint some rain on there with Photoshop."

Posts: 416 | From: Here, there, and everywhere | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Red Rover
Open Line Veteran
Member # 6505

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 10:02 AM      Profile for Red Rover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WacoWX:
Most, if not all amusement facilities offer media discounts. I was able to go to Sea World in San Antonio for a very low cost (it may have been free now that I think about it actually).

crap, I wish I would have thought about this back in '04

[Frustrated]

--------------------
"While TV meteorologists warned of dire things to come, the manager of my cheap motel sailed under a different flag, the unofficial flag of Oklahoma, which in my mind included among its images a thunderbolt illuminating a plate of baby back ribs. The unofficial breakfast: a cigarette stubbed out in a donut. The unofficial motto 'No, we don't have a basement.'"
- Mark Svenvold

Posts: 1876 | From: KSPS/KLAW | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
WXDUDE
Member # 2235

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 03:04 PM      Profile for WXDUDE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 50 Percent Chance:
quote:
Originally posted by kmfdmatt:

...which is why I always kept a dime or a dollar in my pocket just for this purpose. I didn't accept anything for free. I always paid 'something' for it. Little trick that is technically legal and could save ya in a pinch.
Yes, even when I went to Disney...I gave a nickel to the girl who gave me my tickets...

Nice try, but that certainly wouldn't fly with MY employer. We have a policy that prohibits us from accepting anything of value greater than $50, so that dime in my pocket may not be enough!

--------------------
"You've got to throw the stone to get the pool to ripple"

wxguy1973
Member # 5626

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 03:12 PM      Profile for wxguy1973     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WXDUDE:
Before you take advantage of these freebies, make sure you know your company policy on accepting free stuff like admission to theme parks and hotel rooms, etc. (or the Bahamas Weather Conference!) I've been to Disney World, Sea World, Universal, varous ski resorts on media comp passes...but since I started working for LARGE broadcasting companies (who all seem to have strict policies againt payola, plugola, etc) the freebies have come to an end. Just putting that out there...

Payola plugola refers to accepting something and GIVING something in return. Like disney gives you tickets you shoot some b roll and then do a story.

Accepting tickets with no conditions to me is just a perk. The reality is is that most places give freebies to different groups or businesses or whatever. They know you are going to spend money there. Period.

Posts: 530 | From: here | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
WXFORECASTER
Open Line Veteran
Member # 1567

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 03:21 PM      Profile for WXFORECASTER   Author's Homepage   Email WXFORECASTER   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wxguy1973:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by WXDUDE:
[qb]Accepting tickets with no conditions to me is just a perk. The reality is is that most places give freebies to different groups or businesses or whatever. They know you are going to spend money there. Period.

That all the money we make in TV weather!!!! [Shifty]

--------------------
The Weather Forecaster Webpage

Posts: 2246 | From: Back in the mountains | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
WXDUDE
Member # 2235

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 03:31 PM      Profile for WXDUDE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Payola plugola refers to accepting something and GIVING something in return. Like disney gives you tickets you shoot some b roll and then do a story.

Accepting tickets with no conditions to me is just a perk. The reality is is that most places give freebies to different groups or businesses or whatever. They know you are going to spend money there. Period.

For many broadcasting companies, even the APPEARANCE that something unethical/illegal is taking place is enough to have a company policy against the practice. As long as your company has a policy against taking advantage of free stuff, I'd steer clear. Now, if it is something that is offered to ALL members of the media at the same time (such as a media ski day) then THAT'S ok according to my past and current employers, because they are not isolating individuals...they are affording the opportunity to everyone. I'm not saying any of this is right or wrong...just beware of what your company will and won't allow you to do. No sense in jeopardizing your job over a few free tickets to see a mouse.

--------------------
"You've got to throw the stone to get the pool to ripple"

what the ??
Member # 6214

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2006 08:10 AM      Profile for what the ??     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

For many broadcasting companies, even the APPEARANCE that something unethical/illegal is taking place is enough to have a company policy against the practice. As long as your company has a policy against taking advantage of free stuff, I'd steer clear. Now, if it is something that is offered to ALL members of the media at the same time (such as a media ski day) then THAT'S ok according to my past and current employers, because they are not isolating individuals...they are affording the opportunity to everyone. I'm not saying any of this is right or wrong...just beware of what your company will and won't allow you to do. No sense in jeopardizing your job over a few free tickets to see a mouse.
Like management doesn't get freebies at all levels.
Posts: 852 | From: Lost | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
what the ??
Member # 6214

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2006 08:13 AM      Profile for what the ??     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to o-town late last year. No problems. I got two days worth of park-hopper passes(4 tickets to use over two days for two people)

Univeral, IOA and Sea World were no problem either. Just don't brag.

Posts: 852 | From: Lost | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
baldingwxguy
Member # 4709

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2006 09:18 AM      Profile for baldingwxguy   Author's Homepage   Email baldingwxguy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wxornot22:
If you want the Simpson's Great American Vacation on air talent get pretty good deals in Branson. I'm not a huge fan of the Senior Citizen Mecca, but it makes for a pretty cheap weekend trip. We get free passes to Silver Dollar City and White Water plus some shows.

LOL! Senior Citizens Meca... Yeah, with old ladies screaming at Bobby Vinton and Andy Williams concerts like they were junior high girls screaming for (insert extremely-popular-and-filthy-rich-yet-musically-untalented group here).

I like freebies.

--------------------
Hydrometeorman smells like a woman.

Posts: 953 | From: Springfield, MO | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
rdale
Open Line Veteran
Member # 5658

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2006 12:16 PM      Profile for rdale   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kennedy Space Center will also hook you up for free.
Posts: 2367 | From: Lansing, MI | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lenticular
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2006 04:03 PM      Profile for Lenticular     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WXDUDE is right on this... true, its not a payola/plugola 'thing' if there is no quid pro quo.

However many stations have the no freebies policy in place because of the following HYPOTHETICAL example:

WXDUDE gets free season passes to Vail for himself and family directly from Vail resorts. No quid pro quo. HOWEVER, that ski season there is a horrific lift accident at Vail that kills multiple people. It is discovered that negligence on the part of the lift operators caused the accident. The FOX 31 ND decides they'll cover the story... but just due to editorial choice they don't cover it as aggressively as the other stations in town. The Rocky Mountain News and the Denver Post discover that WXDUDE is getting the free passes and prints that it looks awfully fishy that FOX 31 didn't cover the acident like the others when their employees are getting freebies from Vail. The stations news product takes a major credibility hit.

Thats why it can be risky to take freebies... especially ones within you ADI. If you insist on getting the "media rate"... you better make damn sure its kept on the down low

--------------------
And the world... the world drags me down!... the world and the world - yeah!... the world drags me down! - Ian Astbury

Posts: 1004 | From: !3M TA3 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
sundoggy
Member # 5245

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2006 04:50 PM      Profile for sundoggy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd take my chances and go have some fun. I have no loyalty to this station and they dont seem to care about me all that much. It would be great to see my contract shredded.

--------------------
Getting ready to move on again...

Posts: 218 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jetstreak
Member # 2154

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 02:49 PM      Profile for Jetstreak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anybody have a contact number for the Disney Park in California (Disney Land)??? Also for Universal Studios California?

Thanks so much if anybody does! [Smile]

--------------------
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things!

Posts: 231 | From: Northeast | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
rdale
Open Line Veteran
Member # 5658

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 06:06 PM      Profile for rdale   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look up their 'media relations' phone number from the websites if nobody replies...
Posts: 2367 | From: Lansing, MI | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
niceweather
Member # 6787

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 06:08 PM      Profile for niceweather         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I'm just as cheap as the next guy! Any ideas for New York City? My family of four is heading up there next month.
TAFKA wacowx
Open Line Veteran
Member # 2671

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 07:26 PM      Profile for TAFKA wacowx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by niceweather:
Hey, I'm just as cheap as the next guy! Any ideas for New York City? My family of four is heading up there next month.

Aside from an easy 'backstage' tour of your network's morning program, nothing that I know of. Check with affiliate relations of your network...assuming you work at one of the big 3....or maybe Fox can get you into Fox News. MAYBE...and that's a big MAYBE, NBC can get you into the Top of the Rock for freee since it's in their building.

1/2 price, same day theater tickets available at TKTS booths in the Mariott Marquis and near the South Street Seaport PLUS some shows have a lottery for same-day front row tickets at around $20 a pop. This is how I saw Rent twice and Avenue Q. The catches: you must have the cash and you can only get 2 tickets per name drawn, so for all of you to get in, 2 would need to win. That being said, I have never NOT gotten those cheaper tickets when I have tried. Show up at the box office around 3 hours before the show...they usually have the instructions posted or someone there making an annnouncement.

Check the Free For All side of the board for some nice ideas of other things to do and see.

Posts: 6131 | From: Houston, TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
wxguy1973
Member # 5626

Icon 1 posted March 15, 2007 01:52 PM      Profile for wxguy1973     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PM me if you need some really good info for learning how to save big money with any kind of travel
Posts: 530 | From: here | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
niceweather
Member # 6787

Icon 1 posted March 15, 2007 05:13 PM      Profile for niceweather         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Waco! That's a big help. My wife really wants to take the kids to a show.

All times are PST (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | MediaLine | Privacy Statement