Click to return to the MediaLine main page.
Click to return to the MediaLine main page.
FORUM UPGRADE! Please start using the new forum at this address: http://openline.medialine.com
The older forum will stay up but in "read only" mode, which means that no new posts or user registrations are allowed.
MediaLine's Open Line

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» MediaLine's Open Line   » Open Line   » Movie Theater Seating Warning

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Movie Theater Seating Warning
Signature on File
Open Line Veteran
Member # 6488

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2007 02:40 PM      Profile for Signature on File   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We recently did a investigative piece which involved testing a local movie theater's seating contaminants. This was a movie theater that was only three years old and part of a 20 theater multiplex. The theaters cater to mostly children and teens. The theaters selected were the ones that show mostly children and teen showings.

On just two movie seat cushions, tested by an independent lab.
They found:
Urine, Feces, head lice, vomit, traces of blood, nasal fluids, soda, butter, cheese sauce, semen, and several other samples of unknown origin.

[ October 04, 2007, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: Signature on File ]

--------------------
Steve Fossett has just set a new record. Winner of the 2007 Nevada "Hide & Seek" Championship.

Posts: 5477 | From: Zxracradia | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Consider This
Member # 3201

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2007 02:44 PM      Profile for Consider This         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Netflix just called. They'd like to use your report in their next commercial campaign.
Posts: 1148 | From: . | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
amp
Open Line Veteran
Member # 354

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2007 03:00 PM      Profile for amp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Signature on File:
soda, butter, cheese sauce, semen

Ladies and Gentlemen: the next feature ingredients for tomorrow's "Iron Chef"!

--------------------
But don't listen to the talk about having shows beamed directly into your brain. That's science-fiction nonsense. Shows will be stored in the pancreas and will enter the brain through the bloodstream after being downloaded into your iHole. --Joss Whedon

Posts: 1932 | From: UC-Sunnydale | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
neodeity
Open Line Veteran
Member # 6980

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2007 03:07 PM      Profile for neodeity   Email neodeity   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good thing I don't go to movies naked, beyond that, so what. Notice this Produce; this is the example of the pussification of America. It's not school boards trying to avoid lawsuits, it's weenie people screaming, "ooo, gross" when they're informed of the microscopic levels of poop found in things they've used or eaten their entire lives without incident. I remember watching the Seinfeld episode concerning double-dipping and thinking what sort of jackass even thinks about that sort of thing. It turns out that a lot of people do, to my amazement. Hell, I come from a big family; you can't be that picky if you want to eat. Most of us have been blessed with an immune system that is specifically designed to protect our bodies from poop like this; but it must encounter nasty bugs to be able to fight off the nasty bugs. That which doesn't kill you really does make you stronger in this case (of course I could be wrong in which case it merely delays the inevitable).
 -

--------------------
"The Cowboys are the greatest team ever! Class dismissed." - writer2

Posts: 1732 | From: undisclosed | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
product of communism
Open Line Veteran
Member # 717

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2007 03:18 PM      Profile for product of communism   Email product of communism   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
We recently did a investigative piece which involved testing a local movie theater's seating contaminants. This was a movie theater that was only three years old and part of a 20 theater multiplex. The theaters cater to mostly children and teens. The theaters selected were the ones that show mostly children and teen showings.

They found:
Urine, Feces, head lice, vomit, traces of blood, nasal fluids, soda, butter, cheese sauce, semen, and several other samples of unknown origin.

And yet for close to 100 years men, women and children have been going to the movies without sudden death ... how have we been so lucky?

Does it occur to you that it's not really a big deal?

Despite that, as a producer, I can recognize it's a great story... very teasable... I'd run the hell out of it.

Posts: 2914 | From: Have you checked your closet? | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
FD2BLK
Open Line Veteran
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2007 03:23 PM      Profile for FD2BLK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sense a Peewee Herman joke in here somewhere?

--------------------
If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice

Posts: 7338 | From: Temples of Syrinx | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
rawhead rex
Member # 12152

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2007 03:30 PM      Profile for rawhead rex   Email rawhead rex   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hollywood had a campaign in the '50s with the theme "Movies are better than ever!" as part of the battle with television. That was prior to theaters degenerating into orgiastic cafeterias which happen to show films.
Posts: 1357 | From: oklahoma city | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mighty Dyckerson
Open Line Veteran
Member # 3275

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2007 03:49 PM      Profile for Mighty Dyckerson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
They found:

Whoa, that's disgusting! I wouldn't eat movie theater cheese sauce if my life depended on it!
Posts: 5974 | From: Dyckersonville | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mr.TV
Member # 3652

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2007 04:22 PM      Profile for Mr.TV         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

They found:

Basically, it is whatever that's found on any hotel mattress, bed spead and carpeting.
Posts: 555 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Signature on File
Open Line Veteran
Member # 6488

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2007 05:14 PM      Profile for Signature on File   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can understand the hotel room theory. I once found a used condom stuck to the underside of the bedspread. Somebody forgot to "turn the light on" when cleaning that room. That's why I won't stay at a "Motel Sicks" even if the Company station pays for it.

--------------------
Steve Fossett has just set a new record. Winner of the 2007 Nevada "Hide & Seek" Championship.

Mighty Dyckerson
Open Line Veteran
Member # 3275

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2007 07:03 PM      Profile for Mighty Dyckerson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I once found a used condom stuck to the underside of the bedspread.

Damn, I've been looking all over for that! Could you toss it in an envelope and send it my way?

--------------------
Dyckerson has spoken. Praise the Lord.

Posts: 5974 | From: Dyckersonville | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
rawhead rex
Member # 12152

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2007 07:18 PM      Profile for rawhead rex   Email rawhead rex   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you really think it will stretch to fit the head over which you should pull it?
s'news
Open Line Veteran
Member # 2664

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2007 07:25 PM      Profile for s'news     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This story's been done. Go anywhere and I suspect you'll find this stuff.
Posts: 14269 | From: Houston | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ronald Reagan
Member # 1540

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2007 07:57 PM      Profile for Ronald Reagan   Email Ronald Reagan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And You thought All the Action on the Screen ...
 -
...was why You Couldn't sit still in your seat.

Posts: 111 | From: Right Here, and Right Now | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
mothball
Open Line Veteran
Member # 1627

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2007 07:59 PM      Profile for mothball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reasons I won't stay at another Motel Six:

This one...

and this...

and this...

and this...

are all reasons I used to carry a tent and sleeping bag in my car. Thank God I can afford better now.

--------------------
It takes courage to make it to the top. It takes tenacity to stay there.

"...and it takes wisdom to realize when to pick a better mountain." -- Vulcan

Posts: 4253 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Clever Login Name
Open Line Veteran
Member # 6236

Icon 1 posted October 07, 2007 06:39 PM      Profile for Clever Login Name     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by product of communism:

Despite that, as a producer, I can recognize it's a great story... very teasable... I'd run the hell out of it.[/qb]

And here, ladies and gents, is why t-v news is dying a slow, inevitable and wholly irrelevant death.

[ October 07, 2007, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: Clever Login Name ]

Posts: 4500 | From: Santa Poco, Mexico | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
MickeyRat
Member # 5804

Icon 1 posted October 07, 2007 10:25 PM      Profile for MickeyRat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

They found:

Movie are so expensive now, That's why I rent DVD's. I feel more at ease knowing that all the Urine, Feces, Lice, Vomit, Blood, Snot, Semen, Food Samples... found on my seat belong to me!
Posts: 291 | From: Santa Maria | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
sonorandesert
Open Line Veteran
Member # 739

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2007 12:04 AM      Profile for sonorandesert     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MickeyRat:
quote:

They found:

Movie are so expensive now, That's why I rent DVD's. I feel more at ease knowing that all the Urine, Feces, Lice, Vomit, Blood, Snot, Semen, Food Samples... found on my seat belong to me!
Yet, you don't understand why dates never call you back?

--------------------
Call me desert.

Posts: 2040 | From: somewhere in the desert... | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Another side
Open Line Veteran
Member # 1698

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2007 02:26 AM      Profile for Another side     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Clever Login Name:
quote:

Despite that, as a producer, I can recognize it's a great story... very teasable... I'd run the hell out of it.

And here, ladies and gents, is why t-v news is dying a slow, inevitable and wholly irrelevant death.[/QB]
Yeah ... some "investigative" story. "Beware, folks, this is what you will find if you take a power-vaccum with you to the movies and attach its lips to the very same cushion you're preparing to sit down on! There are microscopic bits of icky stuff dwelling on and beneath the surface! You will, if you're not careful, have to wash the Levis you wore to the movie that day!" Forget that your carpeted floors at home -- which you presumably vaccum more than the offending seat cushion at the movie house -- have thousands more microscopic bits of icky stuff or that the bed you sleep in on a nightly basis not only harbors them but incubates them.

And, as someone else alluded to, there's not a death certificate in a coroner's desk-drawer anywhere on this planet that announces "cause of death" as "exposure to microscopic bits of icky stuff" or their more specific names as mentioned in the original post.

What was the point of this "investigative" piece?

Posts: 6991 | From: The Midwest | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
facts
Open Line Veteran
Member # 3324

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2007 06:33 AM      Profile for facts         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(From the linked Motel 6 reviews)

"I spent what I was hoping would be a wonderful weekend and turned out to be a terrible weekend at the motel 6 in beeville, texas..."

You know, if your trip involves a weekend in beeville, texas.. and your standards are such that Motel 6 is your first choice of lodging.. things simply aren't going to go well no matter what.

Clever Login Name
Open Line Veteran
Member # 6236

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2007 07:54 AM      Profile for Clever Login Name     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Another side:
quote:
Originally posted by Clever Login Name:
quote:

And here, ladies and gents, is why t-v news is dying a slow, inevitable and wholly irrelevant death.

Yeah ... some "investigative" story. "Beware, folks, this is what you will find if you take a power-vaccum with you to the movies and attach its lips to the very same cushion you're preparing to sit down on! There are microscopic bits of icky stuff dwelling on and beneath the surface! You will, if you're not careful, have to wash the Levis you wore to the movie that day!" Forget that your carpeted floors at home -- which you presumably vaccum more than the offending seat cushion at the movie house -- have thousands more microscopic bits of icky stuff or that the bed you sleep in on a nightly basis not only harbors them but incubates them.

And, as someone else alluded to, there's not a death certificate in a coroner's desk-drawer anywhere on this planet that announces "cause of death" as "exposure to microscopic bits of icky stuff" or their more specific names as mentioned in the original post.

What was the point of this "investigative" piece?[/QB]

That's just it, it's not investigative ... this is some piece of crap baked up by a consultant and being sold as we speak to dozens of stations around the country. And they'll run it, because of people like p.o.c. who flat out admit that it's 'not really a big story' (that's an understatement), yet it's 'a great story' because it's 'very teasable'. What a colossal joke this industry has become.

--------------------
Fred Thompson has released a comprehensive plan to save Social Security: Kill old hippies.

Posts: 4500 | From: Santa Poco, Mexico | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
NoNeckMonster
Member # 5992

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2007 11:31 PM      Profile for NoNeckMonster         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mothball:
Reasons I won't stay at another Motel Six:

When I travel with my dog on road trips, I usually stay at Motel 6. Yeah, there are some that I wouldn't return to (the one off the interstate in Little Rock, Arkansas, is on the list); however, I've had mostly good experiences with the chain.

The trick to staying at a good Motel 6 is to first find out if the location is corporate-owned or a franchise. The corporate ones are run and maintained much better. The franchise locations are too prone to playing by their own rules (until they're visited by corporate inspectors).

I don't care for mint chocolates on a pillow or a "lobby experience." All I want is to hang my clothes, shower and sleep. When I travel by car, I take along my own pillow. And the moment I settle into a hotel or motel room, I rip the bedcover off the bed and leave it on the floor.

When pigs travel on company money, their personal habits don't change. They can be just as disgusting in a $300/night room as the drunk p^ssing in the bushes of a one-night-stand motel.

After Motel 6, I go with Super 8. And the Best Western chain is the most overrated rip-off of them all.

(Edited to remove the "****" that turned the slang for urinating into a forbidden word.)

[ October 08, 2007, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: NoNeckMonster ]

Posts: 1221 | From: East-West | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Quagmire
Member # 7235

Icon 1 posted October 09, 2007 02:23 AM      Profile for Quagmire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was younger we went to the movies...I sat down. Apparently someone thought it would be ok to **** in the seat. Good thing I was like 9 and hadnt developed my ability to fly off the handle yet.

I now check the seat before I sit down every time. Though I bet I've gone five times in five years to the theatre.

Posts: 142 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Signature on File
Open Line Veteran
Member # 6488

Icon 1 posted October 09, 2007 07:07 AM      Profile for Signature on File   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reminds me of a prank the older guys would play when I was a kid. They would sneak into the adult movie theater and shoot people in the back of the head with a water pistol loaded with milk.

--------------------

Diplomat
Open Line Veteran
Member # 2560

Icon 1 posted October 09, 2007 07:16 AM      Profile for Diplomat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NoNeckMonster--

I've also had good experiences at Motel 6, Red Roof, etc. The last Best Western I stayed in wasn't bad, either. Of course, the company paid for it and it was actually (and surprisingly) as nice as the $300-plus hotel I had been in six months before and for a fourth of the cost.

Hadn't thought about the franchised/independent thing until you mentioned it; it sounds like a good idea to me. How do you find out that information?

--------------------
"I should sooner live in a society governed by the first two thousand names in the Boston telephone directory than in a society governed by the two thousand faculty members of Harvard University."
William F. Buckley, Jr.

Posts: 14159 | From: Where I Am | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dap
Member # 15678

Icon 1 posted October 09, 2007 07:31 AM      Profile for Dap   Email Dap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The head lice freaked me out in the first post. I went to the movies over the weekend and I brought kitchen towels for the seat headrests. Hey! Who wants to get lice!

In addition, my SIL has always wiped down the armrests with baby wipes before allowing her kids to sit or use the drink holders.

Posts: 390 | From: United States | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
tater
Member # 8479

Icon 1 posted October 09, 2007 08:25 AM      Profile for tater         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Reminds me of a prank the older guys would play when I was a kid. They would sneak into the adult movie theater and shoot people in the back of the head with a water pistol loaded with milk.

I don't care who you are...but THAT'S funny [Big Grin] .
Posts: 1330 | From: Timbuktu | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
STRMCHSR
Member # 11677

Icon 13 posted October 09, 2007 11:45 AM      Profile for STRMCHSR   Email STRMCHSR   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is proven that everytime you flush your terlit in your bathroom, that million upon billions microscopic particles of poo land on your toothbrush if exposed out it the open. [Frown]

--------------------
Giggity Giggity Gigg a D!

Posts: 50 | From: Jackson, Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
NoNeckMonster
Member # 5992

Icon 1 posted October 11, 2007 10:04 PM      Profile for NoNeckMonster         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Diplomat:
NoNeckMonster--

Hadn't thought about the franchised/independent thing until you mentioned it; it sounds like a good idea to me. How do you find out that information?

Ask before making a reservation. They must tell you. For the most part, when there is more than one location for the same chain within 10 miles of a city, at least one of them is corporate-owned.
NoNeckMonster
Member # 5992

Icon 1 posted October 11, 2007 10:06 PM      Profile for NoNeckMonster         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by STRMCHSR:
It is proven that everytime you flush your terlit in your bathroom, that million upon billions microscopic particles of poo land on your toothbrush if exposed out it the open. [Frown]

Only if its a flush-valve system, where the water jets into the bowl and creates a spray.

It's not the same result when it's a pull-chain with stopper system.

rawhead rex
Member # 12152

Icon 1 posted October 11, 2007 10:11 PM      Profile for rawhead rex   Email rawhead rex   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or a two-holer outback of the house.

All times are PST (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | MediaLine | Privacy Statement