Click to return to the MediaLine main page.
Click to return to the MediaLine main page.
FORUM UPGRADE! Please start using the new forum at this address: http://openline.medialine.com
The older forum will stay up but in "read only" mode, which means that no new posts or user registrations are allowed.
MediaLine's Open Line

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» MediaLine's Open Line   » Open Line   » "IDOL..Barry Gibb Week"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "IDOL..Barry Gibb Week"
Goddess Maureen
Open Line Veteran
Member # 3083

Icon 10 posted May 09, 2007 01:34 AM      Profile for Goddess Maureen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Rockon] Hello,

I can't get the songs of Barry Gibb out of my head right now. First it was "Staying Alive" and now "Nights on Broadway" is on. [Smile] I enjoyed seeing Barry and hearing him mentor. My favourite part was when he said the only thing he disagreed with about the show and style of singing is that they never let the contestants sing the whole song.

I am worried for both Blake and Lakisha. If I had to chose I think it will be Lakisha's time to go. I will miss her and will always remember her "Dreamgirls" song.

1) Melinda sang "Inside and Out" and "How can you mend a broken heart" I preferred her rendition of "How" better than her 1st song. Paula pointed out that we all know she can sing and is a great "tech" performer but that Paula wants to be wowed and hear more from her.

2)Blake sang "You should be dancing" and "This is where I came in" and yes, he beat boxed through some of both songs. I did not like either performance and Randy pointed out that it might be a good thing to leave off the beat boxing and not to mess with the songs, just sing them. For me a so so night with Simon pointing out to him that he might be in danger of going home tomorrow.(him or Lakisha)

3)Lakisha sang "Staying Alive" and "Run to me" and I did enjoy them and my heart broke for her when her voice gave out and went hoarse as she finished her second song. She did a good job tho with what she had.

4)Jordin sang (and did so brilliantly I might add) "To love somebody" and "Woman in Love" and both songs were terrific. All judges agreed that her 1st song was the performance of the night. I have loved this girl since I saw her first audition way back when. I was hoping for her but never thought she would make it through the lackluster bunch of contestants we had thrown at us this year. I can see a finale with Melinda and Jordin with Jordin taking it all. (As mentioned on last weeks thread, Jordin has more marketability. I thought Blake might do it, but his recent turns at the mic have left me cold.) HUGE stars for our Jordin. [Whistle]

Happy Hump Day and See you later,

Maureen***
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"There are things that go bump in the night.."
" And, We are the ones who bump back "

"Hellboy" 2004

"Those who do evil to others, Will come to know ME well"

"The Punisher" 2004

"Do not be overcome by evil, But overcome evil with good"

Romans Chapter 12, Verse 21

"You must do the thing which you think you can not do"...Eleanor Roosevelt

Posts: 1727 | From: California | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
hoosiergirl
Member # 5358

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2007 02:51 AM      Profile for hoosiergirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it was a rough night overall. No one really wowed me. I'm a Blake fan and I'm worried about him tonight. For what it could have been, should have been....a boring night. Love Barry Gibb though.
Bravesgirl
Member # 4278

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2007 05:40 AM      Profile for Bravesgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dialidol has Lakesha and Melinda on the bottom two. I think Lakesha will be going home. After seeing Blake, who I love, do so-so I thought for sure he would at least be in the bottom two. I was really bored through last nights show and was not impressed by anyone but Jordan.
Posts: 94 | From: Down South | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brain Cramp
Member # 3988

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2007 06:51 AM      Profile for Brain Cramp         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I've said, I think the final two will be Blake and Jordin and who wins it all depends on these upcoming performances. I agree with what's been said already and I even agree with just about everything the judges said last night. Blake needs to sing now. He really does have a nice singing voice and continues to show the most versatility. After last week's Bon Jovi triumph he should have left beat boxing out completely and adhere to the adage, "Always leave them wanting more."

On another note, what's with Barry Gibb's mouth? All of his teeth are obviously dentures but the tightness in his jaw made me wonder whether he had some major reconstructive surgery recently. He could hardly open his mouth and spoke through clenched teeth. Was he in a car accident that I don't know about? Or some other kind of accident?

--------------------
et tu Brute?

Posts: 1466 | From: my own backyard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
LENSCRAFTER
Open Line Veteran
Member # 6078

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2007 07:39 AM      Profile for LENSCRAFTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brain Cramp:

On another note, what's with Barry Gibb's mouth? All of his teeth are obviously dentures but the tightness in his jaw made me wonder whether he had some major reconstructive surgery recently. He could hardly open his mouth and spoke through clenched teeth. Was he in a car accident that I don't know about? Or some other kind of accident?

We thought the SAME thing. Very strange. He oviously can afford a decent dentist... but those choppers are WAY too big for his mouth.
Posts: 2952 | From: NC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
60.cycle.hum
Member # 7225

Icon 10 posted May 09, 2007 08:04 AM      Profile for 60.cycle.hum   Email 60.cycle.hum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd rather just watch the Barry Gibb Talk Show instead...

[ May 09, 2007, 08:05 AM: Message edited by: 60.cycle.hum ]

--------------------
Memory records
selective shorts
and interpretations
then later
plays them back
as Gospel fact.
That's how I remember.
---David Bazan

Posts: 280 | From: Central Illinois | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gail sirens
Member # 12882

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2007 08:18 AM      Profile for Gail sirens         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Barry Gibb went to Sean Connery's dentist.
Posts: 120 | From: TPA | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
guesswhoiam
Member # 3709

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2007 09:57 AM      Profile for guesswhoiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 60.cycle.hum:

gawd, i LOVE those sketches! i'm not a big fan of jimmy fallon or justin timberlake, but that theme song always makes me laugh!
Posts: 436 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Thrill
Open Line Veteran
Member # 9035

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2007 11:13 AM      Profile for The Thrill   Author's Homepage   Email The Thrill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 60.cycle.hum:

"Talkin' 'bout chest hair...talkin' 'bout crazy cool medallions..." [Rockon]

Aw yeah.  -

Oh, and the episode here with Drew Barrymore as Ann Coulter is f'n hilarious, too.

--------------------
NWA Wisconsin presents...Happy Hour!
Free local pro wrestling STATEWIDE on Time-Warner Digital Cable's Wisconsin On-Demand Ch. 1111!

Posts: 3726 | From: Green Bay, Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
TVSURFER
Member # 4166

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2007 08:17 PM      Profile for TVSURFER   Email TVSURFER   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it weren't for the job situation, I would be glued as in past years to Idol the last few weeks. Thanks Goddess Maureen for picking up where I left off a few weeks ago on the threads. I thought Lakisha would be next to go, and I was right for once. I think I predicted last year at this time that Daughtry (from my hometown) would advance to the finals and he was eliminated, causing all sorts of hoopla on here. Anyway, here's my prediction of the remaining 2-3 weeks:
5/16 elimination: Ideally Blake, realistically either Jordin or Melinda (which would suck)
Final 2: Blake and Jordin, with Jordin becoming the new AI.

My favorite two are still Melinda and Jordin.
Have a great rest of the week everybody!
[ImWithStupid]

--------------------
Why don't we all just get along?

Posts: 321 | From: Under blue skies in the land of tranquility | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Goddess Maureen
Open Line Veteran
Member # 3083

Icon 10 posted May 09, 2007 11:06 PM      Profile for Goddess Maureen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Rockon] Hello all,

WB TV Surfer, how is the new job going ? Great I hope. Well, I guess we all picked it and Lakisha was sent home. Thank Goodness she gets to go on tour and I hope we will see more of her in the future. I really liked this Lady and felt that she has real warmth and personality and of course, talent.

I loved seeing Barry Gibb but am wondering myself what was going on with his speech and singing. He sang the song Jordin sang last night ? Bizarre choice when he has so many wonderful Bee Gee tunes to chose from. Is it possible that he may have had some type of dental surgery that is making it difficult for him to speak or sing as he once did ? Did anyone else notice that Pink stood in for no show Carrie Underwood who was heavily promoted as being on the show and singing her song from the "Idol Gives Back" show ?

I do see it coming down to Blake and Jordin with Jordin taking it all. Of course, that is unless Evil Nigel chooses someone else and than all bets are off. I hope he is to busy getting ready for Season 3 of "So you think you can dance" to interfere in the voting process again.

Happy Weekend to be and Stay safe,

Maureen***
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"There are things that go bump in the night.."
" And, We are the ones who bump back "

"Hellboy" 2004

"Those who do evil to others, Will come to know ME well"

"The Punisher" 2004

"Do not be overcome by evil, But overcome evil with good"

Romans Chapter 12, Verse 21

"You must do the thing which you think you can not do"...Eleanor Roosevelt

Posts: 1727 | From: California | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bill Lumbergh
Member # 2808

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2007 11:19 PM      Profile for Bill Lumbergh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blake in the final two? Not a chance. The kid is flat horrible. Try listening to him without watching. It's laughable, really. He's a microcosm of just how bad the guys were this season.

Melinda and Jordin in the final, and it's anybody's guess who wins.

Another side
Open Line Veteran
Member # 1698

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2007 03:12 AM      Profile for Another side     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree. Blake should have been gone this week. I've thought all along it was Melinda's to lose ... but Jordin is certainly giving her a run.
Posts: 6991 | From: The Midwest | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
hoosiergirl
Member # 5358

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2007 04:31 AM      Profile for hoosiergirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did everyone enjoy the fake "live" performance by Pink? Taped weeks ago for Idol Gives Back and shown last night (ran out of time to use it during Idol Gives Back).

They went as far as using a taped cutaway and a fake live shot of Ryan looking at her. That was awful.

News Is Broken
Open Line Veteran
Member # 9091

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2007 02:25 PM      Profile for News Is Broken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This. Show. Sucks.

The sooner America realizes this, the better off we all will be. Please let this show die the miserable painful death it deserves.

Thanks.

--------------------
-News is Broken
"You can't be like pancakes... all exciting at first... but by the end you're f--king sick of 'em." -Mitch Hedberg

Posts: 2333 | From: The basement at Channel 6 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Signature on File
Open Line Veteran
Member # 6488

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2007 02:31 PM      Profile for Signature on File   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't believe they let Lakisha say the "N*ppy" word in her Bio-video. Imus should sue American Idol. She said, "When I was little, I had this cute little n*ppy fro"

--------------------
Steve Fossett has just set a new record. Winner of the 2007 Nevada "Hide & Seek" Championship.

Posts: 5477 | From: Zxracradia | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Another side
Open Line Veteran
Member # 1698

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2007 02:34 PM      Profile for Another side     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why? Was she insulted by herself?
Posts: 6991 | From: The Midwest | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Produce man
Open Line Veteran
Member # 1608

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2007 02:37 PM      Profile for Produce man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, but she insulted "nappy-headed ho's" across the world.

--------------------
"DON'T TAZE ME, BRO!"

Posts: 8838 | From: here | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are PST (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | MediaLine | Privacy Statement