Click to return to the MediaLine main page.
Click to return to the MediaLine main page.
FORUM UPGRADE! Please start using the new forum at this address: http://openline.medialine.com
The older forum will stay up but in "read only" mode, which means that no new posts or user registrations are allowed.
MediaLine's Open Line

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» MediaLine's Open Line   » Open Line   » Nicest cities/towns less than 50,000 population

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nicest cities/towns less than 50,000 population
Miss B. Haven
Member # 6937

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2006 06:18 AM      Profile for Miss B. Haven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are some of your favorites? They don't necessarily have to be T.V. markets. I'm wondering what some of the best "under-50k" places are, in terms of quality of life, scenery, amenities, weather, people, affordability.
Posts: 55 | From: Yes | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
TAFKA wacowx
Open Line Veteran
Member # 2671

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2006 06:45 AM      Profile for TAFKA wacowx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
State College, PA is pretty nice, unless you don't like college football.

Continual growth with more in the near future once I-99 is completed, connecting I-80 with the PA Turnpike...of course this COULD be a turnoff if you want the are to stay 'sleepy'. Beautiful mountain scenery, 3-4 hour access to Philly and Pittsburgh..about 5 hours to New York City. Skiing in town, numerous lakes and hunting areas nearby for those outdoor types.

Traffic DOES get bad on football weekends (Penn State) and on pick-up, drop-off days. Locals learn to avoid the downtown at those times, but summer is great! You get to rediscover the town without all the students around. It's one of the few thriving downtowns where you can do all of your Christmas shopping, without having to go to a mall. I used to really like that.

Living directly in-town is not great unless you want students or a fratenity as a neighbor. There are several really nice neighborhoods, however where you neighbor is more likely to be a professor.

As for TV, the closest station is in Altoona which is currently about 50 minutes down the road. The finalization of I-99 will likely trim that back to 30 minutes or so. Of course there are State College news bureaus so you CAN technically have a TV job in town.

I'd like to also put my vote in for Pittsfield, MA. Lots of history from a town founded in the late 1700s. You can still find a lot of original colonial architecture. Beautiful mountains with all the expected recreational facilities nearby. Foliage to DIE FOR in the fall. Gets touristy in the summer and fall, but that also means incredible amounts of things to do with the Boston Philharmonic in residence nearby in the summer AND Jacob's Pillow dance festival which brings THE leading dancers from around the world to the Berkshires.

Pittsfield is in the Albany, NY market and is about an hour away.

Posts: 6131 | From: Houston, TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Vengeance
Member # 6936

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2006 07:00 AM      Profile for Mr. Vengeance         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kailua HI
Boulder City NV
Whitewater WI

Stimpy
Member # 5218

Icon 12 posted October 22, 2006 07:11 AM      Profile for Stimpy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are a few places I think are charming. They may not be great TV markets but that wasn't the question.
Vermillion South Dakota is a terrific college town and a nice civil place to live. I went to school there many years ago and now my son and his wife are there and it remains as nice as small midwestern cities get.
Bismarck North Dakota is another place close to my heart. You will be challenged to make a living in TV up there but if you can work out the economics it's a very livable place. Like Vermillion the winters can be a challenge but the rest of the year is wonderful and when it get's cold you just bundle up.
The great plains landscape will not bowl you over like the Grand Tetons or road to Hana but if you let it work on you it's an amazing place.
Harlan Iowa is only about 6000 people but it is typical of small Iowa cities that work.
And finally Hanalei Kauai where you will find the Tahiti Nui bar and grill. Park your butt on the front porch with a plate of Mahi Mahi and a Primo and let the rest of the world go by.

Posts: 267 | From: midwest | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
AnchorsAway
Member # 4694

Icon 14 posted October 22, 2006 08:14 AM      Profile for AnchorsAway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New Braunfels, TX.
I love that place! Quick drive to San Antonio (30 minutes) or Austin (45min-hour), beautiful hill country setting with lots of outdoor activity on the rivers and nearby lake. Gruene, TX is technically in the city of New Braunfels. Great restaurants, live music all summer long, affordable housing, relatively low crime. I could go on and on. Only problem is, a lot of other people know this and it may not be under 50,000 for long.

Also enjoy Santa Fe, NM and Fredricksburg, TX.

Posts: 128 | From: lower 48 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Soul Doubt
Open Line Veteran
Member # 3127

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2006 09:03 AM      Profile for Soul Doubt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rock Springs Wyoming is nice.

--------------------
If sometimes you feel yourself little, useless, offended and depressed, always remember that you were once the fastest and most victorious sperm out of hundreds of millions.

Posts: 2287 | From: at the punk rock show | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Fedora
Open Line Veteran
Member # 1276

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2006 09:23 AM      Profile for The Fedora   Email The Fedora   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cumberland, MD: The mountains are BEAUTIFUL

Asheville, NC: Might top 50k but it is a great town.

Placerville, CA: Only 45 minutes from Tahoe...

Notice a trend?

[Big Grin]

The beach report will be along soon enough.

--------------------
Hail To The Redskins! Hail Victory!

Posts: 3455 | From: OFF THE BEACH! Republic of Texas! | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kace
Open Line Veteran
Member # 7837

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2006 09:30 AM      Profile for Kace   Author's Homepage   Email Kace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Less than 50,000? How 'bout less than 1,000?

--------------------
55 Days To Season 5!

Our Main Event! (11/12/2007)

NCAA Basketball - Charlotte
Appalachian State Mountaineers At Charlotte 49ers

Posts: 9806 | From: The Planet | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Randy Steinman
Administrator
Member # 23

Icon 14 posted October 22, 2006 09:57 AM      Profile for Randy Steinman   Author's Homepage   Email Randy Steinman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Three of my favorite small towns (all pop. 6,000-ish):

Salida, Colorado (Scenic, surrounded by mountains, sunny, never too hot or cold, great skiing, very little rainfall.)

Cherokee Village, Arkansas (Nice waterfront homes, mountains, lots of lakes, good golf. It's like a giant park.)

Gulf Shores, Alabama (Great beach, great food. The golf is good, and the Flora-Bama is 20 minutes away. [Wink] )

[ October 22, 2006, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: Randy Steinman ]

--------------------
"You haven't really worked in television until...your story idea is nixed. Then it is in the local paper. Then you are assigned to it." - s'news

Posts: 1520 | From: Pacific Grove, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
RollTide98
Member # 962

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2006 10:20 AM      Profile for RollTide98   Email RollTide98   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let me add these to the mix...

Easton, Maryland: Perhaps the best example of Eastern Shore cities where the downtown is still filled with cafes and populated by people who live in the apartments above. If it's still that way decades from now, I'll retire there.

Annapolis, Maryland: If you can afford to live downtown, you'll live in an apartment or home surrounded by brick streets, the historic State House, and a fabulous waterfront. The market by the bay is within walking distance to many places. The biggest setback is that once you leave downtown, you're in the gridlock and suburban sprawl that lies between the Beltway and Baltimore.

Georgetown, Kentucky: A quaint city with a vibrant downtown, a college, and the Toyota facility and Lexington nearby. Bluegrass horse farms and winding country roads surround the heart of Georgetown. The challenge is not letting suburbia take over... If you're next to I-75, you feel like you're in Anonymous, USA.

[ October 22, 2006, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: RollTide98 ]

Posts: 416 | From: Birmingham, Ala. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Roy Hobbs
Open Line Veteran
Member # 8266

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2006 10:23 AM      Profile for Roy Hobbs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wausau, Wisconsin.
Beautiful nature scenery, lots of culture, good stations, 1-stops to major cities.

Glen Ellyn, Illinois
Beautiful nature scenery, lots of culture, open downtown movie theatre, one-stop train to Chicago.

Yorktown, Virginia
Beautiful nature scenery, lots of culture, National Historic Park, final resting place of The Red October (in the book). [Whistle]

Posts: 11544 | From: Shermer, IL 60062 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chop
Member # 3846

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2006 10:27 AM      Profile for Chop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Randy Steinman:

Salida, Colorado (Scenic, surrounded by mountains, sunny, warm, surrounded by great skiing. Very little rainfall.)

Cherokee Village, Arkansas (Nice waterfront homes, mountains, lots of lakes, good golf. It's like a giant park.)

Gulf Shores, Alabama (Great beach, great food. The golf is good, and the Flora-Bama is 20 minutes away. [Wink] )

The Flora-Bama? Holy Crap I forgot about that place. Is it still there post hurricanes? I spent a week there after 9/11. Hilarious.

--------------------
My liver is evil and should be punished.

Posts: 202 | From: Parts Unknown | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
DW
Member # 3230

Icon 14 posted October 22, 2006 10:33 AM      Profile for DW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clemson, SC & Blacksburg, VA come to mind.
Posts: 924 | From: here | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Adrienne
Administrator
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2006 10:36 AM      Profile for Adrienne   Author's Homepage   Email Adrienne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right here. Pacific Grove, CA. 17,145. monterey and carmel and pebble beach get all the tourists, but we're tucked just inside/between them, unknown to most. all the bennies of living in one of the most popular tourist destinations in the country with none of the crowds. perfect-o.
Bureau Chief
Open Line Veteran
Member # 9339

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2006 10:37 AM      Profile for Bureau Chief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well there are some that I have been researching for potential retirement targets.
The requirements were...
* Less than 15,000 pop
* In or very near tornado alley.
* Low crime rate.
* Low property values.
* Had to be a "nice" place to live with a well cared for and active downtown area.
* Has to be FLAT...no damn mountains!

I had to drop one required item, which was easy access to an interstate highway. They just aint there in the boonies unless its I-40.

My list currently includes
Scottsbluff Neb. (15000 pop)
Pratt Kansas (7000 pop)
St. John Kansas (1200 pop)
Enid Oklahoma (15000 pop)
Blackwell Oklahoma (12000 pop)
Goodland Kansas (7000 pop)

All these towns have a quality of life that is missing in so many bigger towns. I call it "The Mayberry Syndrome. Slower pace, you know your neighbors and can leave your car unlocked.
(Enid is dropping farther down the list everyday because of an escalating crime rate due to meth labs/addictions.)

[ October 22, 2006, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: Bureau Chief ]

--------------------
"With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, "Are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?"

Posts: 1754 | From: BFE | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Fedora
Open Line Veteran
Member # 1276

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2006 10:42 AM      Profile for The Fedora   Email The Fedora   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BC, I am surprised that Kearney isn't on your list.

(edit: oops, missed the first req. pop of 15000.)

[ October 22, 2006, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: The Fedora ]

--------------------
Hail To The Redskins! Hail Victory!

Posts: 3455 | From: OFF THE BEACH! Republic of Texas! | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
TAFKA wacowx
Open Line Veteran
Member # 2671

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2006 10:51 AM      Profile for TAFKA wacowx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bureau Chief:

That's a very odd requirement...I would choose someplace AWAY from where my retirement castle might be destroyed by an act of nature.
Posts: 6131 | From: Houston, TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
WxGuru
Member # 1765

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2006 10:59 AM      Profile for WxGuru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Key West, FL

Sure it's in "hurricane alley." However, you can sell your snow boots and give away your parka.

The important thing is to get off the beaten path and away from the touristy stuff. You can find "locals" restaurants & bars. All this and a decent 2 bedroom apartment only goes for about $2000 a month...oh, you wanted water & electricity? Add another grand.

Still a nice little town/island.

Posts: 605 | From: Midwest | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bureau Chief
Open Line Veteran
Member # 9339

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2006 12:10 PM      Profile for Bureau Chief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wac-O-WX:
quote:

That's a very odd requirement...I would choose someplace AWAY from where my retirement castle might be destroyed by an act of nature.
But Im tired of that @*^!%*& 2 day drive every spring for chase season and I miss the ones that are not in the spring! The odds of a tornado actually hitting your house is pretty high though.

--------------------
"With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, "Are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?"

Roy Hobbs
Open Line Veteran
Member # 8266

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2006 12:12 PM      Profile for Roy Hobbs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WxBoo-ru:
[QB]Key West, FL

Sure it's in "hurricane alley." However, you can sell your snow boots and give away your parka.
QB]

Too late. [Whistle]

Ditto for the cross country skis and the .45.

Posts: 11544 | From: Shermer, IL 60062 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Poo(h)
Member # 6879

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2006 12:21 PM      Profile for Poo(h)     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adrienne:
Right here. Pacific Grove, CA. 17,145. monterey and carmel and pebble beach get all the tourists, but we're tucked just inside/between them, unknown to most. all the bennies of living in one of the most popular tourist destinations in the country with none of the crowds. perfect-o.

And your housing prices, dear? Would I have to sell my first-born, such as I would in much of California?

I'd argue for places like Canon City or Nederlander, Colorado. Or Estes Park. Neat places.

Posts: 1111 | From: Me | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
tater
Member # 8479

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2006 01:02 PM      Profile for tater         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well there are some that I have been researching for potential retirement targets.
The requirements were...
* Less than 15,000 pop
* Low crime rate.
* Low property values.
* Had to be a "nice" place to live with a well cared for and active downtown area.
* Has to be FLAT...no damn mountains!

I had to drop one required item, which was easy access to an interstate highway. They just aint there in the boonies unless its I-40.

My list currently includes
Scottsbluff Neb. (15000 pop)
Pratt Kansas (7000 pop)
St. John Kansas (1200 pop)
Enid Oklahoma (15000 pop)
Blackwell Oklahoma (12000 pop)
Goodland Kansas (7000 pop)

All these towns have a quality of life that is missing in so many bigger towns. I call it "The Mayberry Syndrome. Slower pace, you know your neighbors and can leave your car unlocked.
(Enid is dropping farther down the list everyday because of an escalating crime rate due to meth labs/addictions.)

I went to junior college in Pratt and my grandparents live there. Not a fun place for a kid, but it is a good retirement community with an excellent hospital. As far as the downtown, it's not all that great.
Posts: 1330 | From: Timbuktu | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
AnchorsAway
Member # 4694

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2006 01:08 PM      Profile for AnchorsAway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
San Clemente, CA is awesome. It's a quaint oceanside community. The cost of housing is outrageous as expected.
Posts: 128 | From: lower 48 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ferrycrossthemersey
Member # 7346

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2006 01:16 PM      Profile for Ferrycrossthemersey         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Missoula, Montana
Glastonbury, Connecticut
Welfleet, Massachusetts (on Cape Cod)

Beautiful vistas, wonderful people.

Bureau Chief
Open Line Veteran
Member # 9339

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2006 01:21 PM      Profile for Bureau Chief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tater, I spent about 2 weeks there recently and they have done a bunch in efforts to inprove the town for the kids. pools, parks, ballfields and skate board parks to name a few. They are about to face a major expansion of businesses and people with the arrival of two new
bio-refineries and the new highway project. Pratt and St John, 30 miles to the north just felt right when I stayed there. Pratt ranks pretty high on my list but then Scottsbluff has a tv station, well sort of. They are out of Casper I guess.

--------------------

John Fricke
Member # 9712

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2006 04:37 PM      Profile for John Fricke   Email John Fricke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnchorsAway:
San Clemente, CA is awesome. It's a quaint oceanside community. The cost of housing is outrageous as expected.

well... i own a home in san clemente. and it is close to paradise. perfect weather, very clean -very safe, upscale.. great schools, great pier, great beach - but not so quaint. it's over 70,000 now and you can expect to pay, rock bottom about 800k for a home. and that's rock bottom. any new home built will start at 1.1 million w/o upgrades or a view. and the current comps in forster ranch, talega or rancho san clemente are running right at $485 a square foot.

i have a friend who has a wonderful 10-yr old home north of atlanta. beautiful subdivision. 2,600 sq ft - and on the market for $219,000. or.. just under 1-million less than my neighbor across the street is asking for his 2,400 sq ft home.

Posts: 66 | From: Southern California | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mom
Open Line Veteran
Member # 553

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2006 05:25 PM      Profile for Mom   Email Mom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stimpy:
Vermillion South Dakota is a terrific college town and a nice civil place to live. I went to school there many years ago and now my son and his wife are there and it remains as nice as small midwestern cities get.

Stimpy, I also went to school in Vermillion many years ago. Wonder whether we were ever in the Dakota Dome at the same time? I don't know that I'd recommmend Vermillion, though. The winters were brutal and the summers, hot and humid. I never cared for any east river towns in South Dakota and ended up living west river for a number of years after USD.

Roy, I do agree with you on Wausau. I've never lived there but did interview for a job and wouldn't have minded getting it and settling in. The town had a nice feel about it.

Posts: 1855 | From: south | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
McCovey Cove Returns
Open Line Veteran
Member # 6507

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2006 05:29 PM      Profile for McCovey Cove Returns     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Affordability rules out most places in California. I'm a fan of the Oregon coast. Astoria, Seaside, etc. are all very nice places. The winters can get a little rough, but other that, I'd take it. Your proximity to Seattle and Portland is a huge plus. You can find some of the best hiking around in the Columbia River Gorge. There's fishing obviously. If you like winter, then Mt. Hood or the Cascades should do just fine.

--------------------
That's liking trying to f*ck while doing your taxes and singing karaoke. There are some things that you just shouldn't do at the same time.--markminn

Posts: 2818 | From: surrounded by 4 walls | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lucille
Member # 1875

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2006 05:52 PM      Profile for Lucille     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Randy Steinman:

Salida, Colorado (Scenic, surrounded by mountains, sunny, never too hot or cold, great skiing, very little rainfall.)

Randy, I didn't know you were such a fan of Alabama! You're spot on about Gulf Shores. It's beautiful. I actually got married in Orange Beach, which is just about 5 minutes further down the beach.

And btw....ROLL TIDE ROLL!!

Posts: 352 | From: south | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eeps Snorps Now
Member # 4859

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2006 08:05 PM      Profile for Eeps Snorps Now     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exeter, New Hampshire
Posts: 593 | From: South | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Randy Steinman
Administrator
Member # 23

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2006 10:23 PM      Profile for Randy Steinman   Author's Homepage   Email Randy Steinman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lucille:

Randy, I didn't know you were such a fan of Alabama! You're spot on about Gulf Shores. It's beautiful. I actually got married in Orange Beach, which is just about 5 minutes further down the beach.

L,

Have had close family living in southern 'bama for 20 years. Am down there often for visits and home cookin'. [Wink]

--------------------
"You haven't really worked in television until...your story idea is nixed. Then it is in the local paper. Then you are assigned to it." - s'news

Posts: 1520 | From: Pacific Grove, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Emily Latella
Member # 6342

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2006 11:02 PM      Profile for Emily Latella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnchorsAway:

T Street or Trestles.

--------------------
oh, that's different ..... never mind.

Posts: 553 | From: Studio 8H | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are PST (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | MediaLine | Privacy Statement